Why???ohh Why??

imurnamine

Originally Posted by Phixer
OK, got it. So then since a soldier knowling accecepts this risk the soldiers family should also accept a lesser ammount because the solidiers job is inherently more dangerous.
Just want to make sure Im understanding you correctly.

So are you saying that you care more about money than life? Oh, okay, I get it.
I'm not saying that. But money shouldn't mean everything. That is what I am saying. I am saying that there are more important things to be worried about with your soldiers than the money that you get if they die.

phixer

Originally Posted by ImUrNamine
So are you saying that you care more about money than life? Oh, okay, I get it.
I'm not saying that. But money shouldn't mean everything. That is what I am saying. I am saying that there are more important things to be worried about with your soldiers than the money that you get if they die.
I wont put words in your mouth so please extend the courtesy. Trying to stay on topic.
So then since a soldier knowingly accecepts this risk the soldiers family should also accept a lesser ammount because the solidiers job is inherently more dangerous?

imurnamine

I responded.
I'm not saying that the families deserve LESS money, by any means. I am NOT saying that.
I think that the families deserve just as much money.
But the opening question was 'WHY do they not get as much?'. I answered that question. They chose to lie their lives on the line for this country. I don't think that they deserve any less, and nor did I say anywhere in here that they do. I'm saying WHY they don't get more. I am also stating that I think it is wrong to be so driven about money when you are talking about a human life being lost. It's as if a soldier dies and you're wondering how much money you can get for it. I'm sorry if I think that's wrong.
I was just really turned off because everything seems to be about money.

phixer

I responded.
I'm not saying that the families deserve LESS money, by any means. I am NOT saying that.
I think that the families deserve just as much money.
But the opening question was 'WHY do they not get as much?'. I answered that question. They chose to lie their lives on the line for this country. I don't think that they deserve any less, and nor did I say anywhere in here that they do. I'm saying WHY they don't get more. I am also stating that I think it is wrong to be so driven about money when you are talking about a human life being lost. It's as if a soldier dies and you're wondering how much money you can get for it. I'm sorry if I think that's wrong.
I was just really turned off because everything seems to be about money.
Here's the Why of it. And its an ugly truth, it's because all lives are not valued the same monitarily. Sad but true, the ones who make these rules are not directly effected by them. Its not their kids who are doing the dirty work. The rich and priveledged send their kids to Harvard while the poor defend the country. The ones who have the ability to make the playing field more level live under a different set of rules. If lawmakers did that it may threaten their six figure incomes. That's why.

imurnamine

...Well then please don't get angry with me.
I hate when I finally feel privileged enough to share what I have to say with a certain group of people, and then get mocked or told that I am wrong for it.

team2jndd

Originally Posted by Phixer
Here's the Why of it. And its an ugly truth, it's because all lives are not valued the same. Sad but true, the ones who make these rules are not directly effected by them. Its not their kids who are doing the dirty work. The rich and priveledged send their kids to Harvard while the poor defend the country. The ones who have the ability to make the playing field more level live under a different set of rules. That's why.
I dont mean to be rude but that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. The two occupations in question are that of millitary service and civil service. Neither position is typically filled by "rich harvard students". The question was why would one receive a greater compensation after death than another. If a harvard student was to die in an accident he or she would receive nowhere near the amounts stated for the above occupations. It is all a matter of your insurance. The higher your premium the more your return.

phixer

...Well then please don't get angry with me.
I hate when I finally feel privileged enough to share what I have to say with a certain group of people, and then get mocked or told that I am wrong for it.
No need to take offense when your secure in your beliefs. If you feel strongly enough about your convictions then mockery is reduced to merely words. Mockery will always happen when you take a stand. After all everyone is entitled to an opinion and dialog is what keeps things interesting.

imurnamine

Well, after constantly being told that I am wrong by fellow classmates year after year yet being adored by my Government teacher, I tend to think that I am at fault for believing differently.
Anyway, I'm done with this.
Yes, the families should be compensated more, but not everything is about money.
...End.

phixer

Originally Posted by team2jndd
I dont mean to be rude but that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. The two occupations in question are that of millitary service and civil service. Neither position is typically filled by "rich harvard students". The question was why would one receive a greater compensation after death than another. If a harvard student was to die in an accident he or she would receive nowhere near the amounts stated for the above occupations. It is all a matter of your insurance. The higher your premium the more your return.
My answer was oriented as to why would one be entitled to any less.
The offspring of the elite are afforded a much safer and often sheltered environment in compairison to the soldier and more than likely will never be subjected to the same risks. That in itself puts the ivy league in a different catagory and significantly reduces the likely hood of ever having to encounter the same risks as someone of lower financial status whos choices are often based on survivability. Although the harvard student might recieve a lesser settlement his likelyhood of encountering the same danger is also reduced often due to priveledge. As said, those that have the power to make the changes are not subjected to the same risks, odds are the harvard student will never encounter the same danger as the Soldier and will always live in safety.
The Victim Compensation Fund of 2001 was established by the federal government to compensate those killed or physically injured in the attacks, 90% of the payments came from this fund not the insurance companies.

phixer

Well, after constantly being told that I am wrong by fellow classmates year after year yet being adored by my Government teacher, I tend to think that I am at fault for believing differently.
Anyway, I'm done with this.
Yes, the families should be compensated more, but not everything is about money.
...End.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

phixer

Having a good sense of humor always helps I think, when I get mocked (which is often) I try to laugh and find humor in it. After all it's only words.
Of course a good inventory of yo mama jokes comes in handy. :hilarious

37g joe

Wow this One I thought hard a long about and was not sure how i felt I was some where in the midle So I decided tha tI would not post unless I resloved this in my mind. On one hand I agreed with the Side that said The soldier family should get just as much money since they put thier life on the line for freedom. on the other hand they Know what they sighned up for. After thinking long and hard about this I came to a conclusion. This money should goto body armor and to the war on terror so more soldiers wont die and Justice can be brought to those who slayed our fellow countrymen/women. That wont happen but even if those family members donated $50,000 to body armor in honor of those who put thier lives on the line to bring justice to those tyrants than I think that would show this country why we are fighting.

gsd

As fara s how much prople get it is according to how much coverage they elected to have. Insurance is not provided free to any soldier or civilian or civil servant. The pewrson pays for it. There used to be a max of 250K for a GI, now there is a max of 1 mil IIRC and it can be double indemnity as well IIRC...but nonetheless it is according to what they want taken from their paychecks not what uncle sam thinks it was worth.its strictly a personal choice and payroll deduction.
I can not see paying anyone anything such as Uncle Sam paying victims of 9/11. Why should the government pay the victims families........The insurance companies pay the families.

team2jndd

Originally Posted by 37g Joe
Wow this One I thought hard a long about and was not sure how i felt I was some where in the midle So I decided tha tI would not post unless I resloved this in my mind. On one hand I agreed with the Side that said The soldier family should get just as much money since they put thier life on the line for freedom. on the other hand they Know what they sighned up for. After thinking long and hard about this I came to a conclusion. This money should goto body armor and to the war on terror so more soldiers wont die and Justice can be brought to those who slayed our fellow countrymen/women. That wont happen but even if those family members donated $50,000 to body armor in honor of those who put thier lives on the line to bring justice to those tyrants than I think that would show this country why we are fighting.
All soldiers in iraq have millitary issue body armor. Each of my brothers have two pairs one for Iraq and one for home.

coachklm

so why was there a fund made for these firefighters families ect..... when the families of soldiers get a funeral and a small check?
just makin yall think here...

opinions are just that agree or disagree and state why..... we are all adults here lets act it and not get tempermental..

zanoshanox

Personally, I think that all of the money handed out to these familes it too much. I don't understand how money is going to ease the pain of loosing someone oyu loved at all....It has nothing to dow ith it. Now if the man of the family goes down and his partner cannot support the family now that theyre gone, I can understand that perfectly. But other than that, I think it's rediculous. No wonder this country is so in debt...

coachklm

so what is your suggetions for these families?
military families-paid for insurance so thats all they recieve
9/11 families- got a fund for children and 1m$ in which they did not pay into?

37g joe

Originally Posted by coachKLM
so what is your suggetions for these families?
military families-paid for insurance so thats all they recieve
9/11 families- got a fund for children and 1m$ in which they did not pay into?
its sad it well never be fair. Look at that darn killer whale keiko I forget how much money went to free that whale but it was Millions and provide it that special Cage in Iceland now the whale is dead. That money could of been used for so many other things.