Why so hot

thebatcave

I have been having heat problems with my 125-gal tank. I know that the source of the heat is a mak-4 pump that pumps water from my sump to the tank. The tank water is always about 10 degrees warmer than the air. Even in winter here in Minnesota the tank will be about 80 degrees. I asked a local fish dealer about the problem and he told me that I'm just going to have to put ice in the tank constantly. I have asked a similar question before, but I didn't get the help I needed. I know ways of cooling the tank down like fans, ice, and chillers. I have also used a quiet one pump on this tank and I had the same problem. WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IS WHAT PUMP CAN PUMP AT A GOOD RATE AND STAY COOL.

broomer5

Well I know you folks have a surplus of ice up in Minnesota sometimes, but for a LFS guy to say you must always put ice in it is insane LOL
Sorry but come on !
I wish I had some better info for you. I am taking it your sump pump is submersible? Are you restricting the water flow in any way back up to your tank ( flow control valve, etc. ) That may cause the pump to run a little hotter I believe. You may want to check voltage requirements from the pump manufacturer, to insure you are powering it up okay.
I have similar set up using a Rio-2100 but that is for 55 gallon set up. You may consider trying an externally mounted pump that is not set down in the sump. Will require a little plumbing modifications, but may do the trick.
Good luck !
Broomer

thebatcave

The pump is an external pump and it does have a ball valve restricting some of the flow. I read that this was OK to do for this type of pump. Does anyone have a similar set-up with a cool running pump?

otto13

what is the location of the tank? what is on the other side of that wall? your air conditioner or furnace? mount a themometer on the wall next to your tank. is it near a window? are you forgetting to turn off your lighting at night? just some things to check. i have one tank in my bedroom that stays at 76% and another in the living room that runs around 81%. i checked the wall temp in the living room and it is way higher than the bedroom. who would guess.
[This message has been edited by otto13 (edited 06-13-2000).]

thebatcave

I will check the wall temp. I don't think that will be a problem because we have central heating and cooling in our house.