Why so much algae?

fishfreak1242

So I've been trying to figure out why there is so much algae in my tank. It hasn't completely over run my tank but if I don't do some soon I think it will. So heres the specs on my tank. I have a 55 gal tank with 2x175 metal halides and 2x55w T-5s. I have a seaclone protein skimmer (I know what your thinking, it's a horrible skimmer but I plan on getting a new one soon) and a 20 gal sump. I have a relatively small clean up crew just a few snails and hermits and a blenny. I have alot of flow. About 25x turnover rate. I use RO/DI water that reads 0 tds, but when I started the tank I used tap water and conditioner. My parameters are:
Salinity-1.024
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0
Ammonia-0
pH-8.1
Phosphate-0
Alk-7
Calcium-350
I only have my lights on for about 6 hours a day. Is there anything that I am doing wrong? I'm exactly sure what kinds of algae there are because theres a mix of many different types but I'm sure its not red slime because I had an outbreak of that a while ago and know what it looks like. Any help would be appreciated.

geoj

Well I would go with two large snail per 10 gals if the alga is on the glass. If it is macro algae remove by hand and use fish or invertebrates that will eat it. Raising calcium to 420-450ppm will help the coralline algae compete for space leaving less algae.
Edit: two large snail per 10 gals

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by GeoJ
http:///forum/post/2825741
Well I would go with two large snail per 10 gals if the alga is on the glass. If it is macro algae remove by hand and use fish or invertebrates that will eat it. Raising calcium to 420-450ppm will help the coralline algae compete for space leaving less algae.
Edit: two large snail per 10 gals
Ok I'll try to raise my calcium levels. The algae is more on my rocks than on the glass. The blenny is doing a good job of eating the algae on the glass, but he won't touch the rocks for some reason. I was thinking about getting a small tang temporarily until my algae dies down, and then give it to a friend with a bigger tank. What kind of large snails work the best?

plumber

Hi, I am kind of new but had this problem . Have a couple of sally lightfoot crabs they made short work of this problem. Plus they look good

I have a Sally Lightfoot as well and he and the red leg hermits do great on the rocks and sand... I have a problem with Algae on the glass so I am going to snag some snails and maybe a blenny.

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by fade2black011
http:///forum/post/2825941
I have a Sally Lightfoot as well and he and the red leg hermits do great on the rocks and sand... I have a problem with Algae on the glass so I am going to snag some snails and maybe a blenny.
Kewl I think I'll get a few hermits and snails.
PS: If your username is referring to that metallica song, then ROCK ON!!!!!

Originally Posted by fishfreak1242
http:///forum/post/2825952
Kewl I think I'll get a few hermits and snails.
PS: If your username is referring to that metallica song, then ROCK ON!!!!!
Definitely is.
The only thing you might run into is the Hermies killing the snails for their shells so make sure you have plenty of shells for the hermies.

ilovemytank

Originally Posted by Plumber
http:///forum/post/2825877
Hi, I am kind of new but had this problem . Have a couple of sally lightfoot crabs they made short work of this problem. Plus they look good

These are not a good solution at all. They eat algea when young but grow quick and when they enter adult stage they turn from algea to meat ! They are super fast, powerfull as far as crabs are concerned and definately have the ability to take down pretty large fish ( large compared to them ). They are night hunters and can easily ambush your fish while sleeping. It will happen happen eventually and you will never get them out of your tank. They are not considered reef safe for these reasons. You list your phosphates at 0. Algea feeds on phosphates and nitrites. Usually caused by over feeding and light ( too much time on ) are usually the culprits. you said you cut down to six hours but I didn't hear anything about your feeding habits. Are you sure that your test for phosphates is being done correctly or works right ? There are things that cause the tests to be inaccurate.

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by Ilovemytank
http:///forum/post/2826173
These are not a good solution at all. They eat algea when young but grow quick and when they enter adult stage they turn from algea to meat ! They are super fast, powerfull as far as crabs are concerned and definately have the ability to take down pretty large fish ( large compared to them ). They are night hunters and can easily ambush your fish while sleeping. It will happen happen eventually and you will never get them out of your tank. They are not considered reef safe for these reasons. You list your phosphates at 0. Algea feeds on phosphates and nitrites. Usually caused by over feeding and light ( too much time on ) are usually the culprits. you said you cut down to six hours but I didn't hear anything about your feeding habits. Are you sure that your test for phosphates is being done correctly or works right ? There are things that cause the tests to be inaccurate.
I feed about half a cube of frozen food for my 3 shrimp 5 fish and a bunch of corals. I'm pretty sure that I'm using my phosphate test properly. I use the API test kit for all of my testing, and I just got the phosphate kit recently so It can't have gone bad or anything.

bizzmoneyb

Ive never seen hermit crabs do anything for algae. Snails do. And my hermits murdered all of the snails.. so its difficult to have both. I would get a handful of turbo snails. Ive also heard Mexican turbo snails are great for algae.. and they get BIG.
You cant always tell your phosphate levels because the algae is sucking it all up.. so it may not be an accurate reading.
I would get some snails, cut down on feeding, and do more water changes to see if it helps.

mcbdz

There are a couple more things to check for. I'm having these same issues right now. My bulbs got old to start then I replaced them and noticed a few different time a day the sun is shining through different windows and hitting my tank.
That said to let you know I feel your pain.

Check your bulbs, it may be time to replace. My t5's are running down around every 7-9 months, 50/50's about every 12months.
Check all through the day and make sure no sunlight is hitting your tank. If so block it. My tank is in living room and around 10am I was getting light from my kitchen window.

Good Luck
Pattie

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by mcbdz
http:///forum/post/2827307
There are a couple more things to check for. I'm having these same issues right now. My bulbs got old to start then I replaced them and noticed a few different time a day the sun is shining through different windows and hitting my tank.
That said to let you know I feel your pain.

Check your bulbs, it may be time to replace. My t5's are running down around every 7-9 months, 50/50's about every 12months.
Check all through the day and make sure no sunlight is hitting your tank. If so block it. My tank is in living room and around 10am I was getting light from my kitchen window.

Good Luck
Pattie
Now that I think about it my metal halides are getting a little old. And my tank is on the other side of a window so light hits it on occasion.

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by mcbdz
http:///forum/post/2827356
Time to spend some money.

I know. Metal halide bulbs are sooo expensive
. Well it had to happen eventually. Does anyone know a good bulb brand? Right now I'm looking at the 175w XM 15,000K bulb.

stanlalee

A) API phophate test is useless. it reads 0.0 and the next reading is something like 0.25ppm or 0.5ppm if I'm not mistaken. you need something that reads down to much finer resolution. you need to use a kit that reads at least down to 0.01ppm and scaled to 0.01, 0.02, 0.03 ect. 0.02ppm is good. 0.06ppm is high.
Astrea work great to keep the liverock clean (key word is "keep", once algae has taken a good hold not so much). Mexican turbo's are probably the best lawnmowers as long as you dont have anything they can knock over. At this point I'm convinced granulated ferric oxide (GFO) such as phosban, rowaphos, pura phoslock ect are the best thing going for algae control. Put in the GFO (media reactors works best $40 but you can put them anywhere you'd put media. have mine in the sump between dividers). If you can, manually remove the algae or as much as possible a few days after you start using the GFO (I did this, took out every rock and scraped them down one by one but that was before I added and epoxied corals). From there it should come back much slower (and this is where the adequate clean up crew comes in). UV helps to but more for the film algae. nowhere near as well as GFO though.
I wouldn't feed 1/2 a cube to a 55g ESPECIALLY if your feeding daily. What exactly are these five fish besides the blenny (you shouldn't add anything for him with the algae). darn the corals and shrimp (the corals can feed off the fish poo, scraps or be target fed and the shrimp are suppose to scavenge). If you have bigger fish feed a few chunks they can eat whole without wasting any. If you have small fish grade a few thin shavings off a side of the cube.
the skimmer is inadequate (okay skimmer for up to 30g, add another 10g if youa have clone 150) although I dont think its the problem and your bulbs might be old but I dont think thats the problem either. I dont buy into that spectrum shift theory. I believe they lose intensity which you probably wont notice over time but you certaintly notice when a halide is significantly whiter or yellower than it used to be and it take a hell of a shift to go from 10-20k to plant grow bulb unoticed. I do believe their is a color spectrum shift with age just not enough to cause an algae bloom in a tank established enough for the lights to get that old. what I do believe is relatively high intensity lighting (such as two 175w halides and 2 T5s over a 55g), especially if the halides are white spectrum bulb are inherently more prone to algae management problems. you buy it to help corals grow fast but it can do the same for algae wether the bulbs are 2 days old or 2yrs old.

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/2827516
A) API phophate test is useless. it reads 0.0 and the next reading is something like 0.25ppm or 0.5ppm if I'm not mistaken. you need something that reads down to much finer resolution. you need to use a kit that reads at least down to 0.01ppm and scaled to 0.01, 0.02, 0.03 ect. 0.02ppm is good. 0.06ppm is high.
Astrea work great to keep the liverock clean (key word is "keep", once algae has taken a good hold not so much). Mexican turbo's are probably the best lawnmowers as long as you dont have anything they can knock over. At this point I'm convinced granulated ferric oxide (GFO) such as phosban, rowaphos, pura phoslock ect are the best thing going for algae control. Put in the GFO (media reactors works best $40 but you can put them anywhere you'd put media. have mine in the sump between dividers). If you can, manually remove the algae or as much as possible a few days after you start using the GFO (I did this, took out every rock and scraped them down one by one but that was before I added and epoxied corals). From there it should come back much slower (and this is where the adequate clean up crew comes in). UV helps to but more for the film algae. nowhere near as well as GFO though.
I wouldn't feed 1/2 a cube to a 55g ESPECIALLY if your feeding daily. What exactly are these five fish besides the blenny (you shouldn't add anything for him with the algae). darn the corals and shrimp (the corals can feed off the fish poo, scraps or be target fed and the shrimp are suppose to scavenge). If you have bigger fish feed a few chunks they can eat whole without wasting any. If you have small fish grade a few thin shavings off a side of the cube.
the skimmer is inadequate (okay skimmer for up to 30g, add another 10g if youa have clone 150) although I dont think its the problem and your bulbs might be old but I dont think thats the problem either. I dont buy into that spectrum shift theory. I believe they lose intensity which you probably wont notice over time but you certaintly notice when a halide is significantly whiter or yellower than it used to be and it take a hell of a shift to go from 10-20k to plant grow bulb unoticed. I do believe their is a color spectrum shift with age just not enough to cause an algae bloom in a tank established enough for the lights to get that old. what I do believe is relatively high intensity lighting (such as two 175w halides and 2 T5s over a 55g), especially if the halides are white spectrum bulb are inherently more prone to algae management problems. you buy it to help corals grow fast but it can do the same for algae wether the bulbs are 2 days old or 2yrs old.
I don't have the cash for GFO, but right now I run phosguard in my tank. I feed my fish every other day and sometimes every two days. I have a percula clown, a firefish, a PJ cardinal, a sixline wrasse and a blenny (not a LMB, he eats brine shrimp so i'm not sure what kind he is). I know that my skimmer is bad i'm gonna get a new one next week hopefully. So what do you suggest I do about the lights?

majestic987

REFUGIUM get one somewhere Read up on them they are awesome have one on every one of my tanks and you can build them, but if you have a sump makes things a whole lot easier. Questions Let me know but try to check out the info on them I learned a ton from just googling them

texasmetal

I second the refugium. Toss some macro-algae in it and it will absorb your nutrients, outside of the display. That's not going to help until the excess algae in the display is taken care of though.
Turbo snails and maybe a seahare.