Why we use skimmers

triga22

I thought that this would be a good thread for all new hobbyist and older ones that arent running skimmers. Mabye you haven thought it could do much or you have a succesful tank without a skimmer. Im running a coralife super skimmer 65 on my 29 gallon tank and I love it. (please post pictures of you skimmers to show what they can do) Just one quick question, Why would you want this in your tank?

turningtim

Good Idea! I'll play!
Just completely clean my skimmer Weds. night. So this a bit more than two days worth of YUCK.
Nicely loaded mixed reef 55 gal.......

turningtim

Good call nycbob! Lost one of my power strips! Will replace today ! Thanks!
I wet skim, Besides it all in the skimmer my friend! Thats why I build my own........
Its run directly off the OF about 100 gph. Recirc style, OR 2700 w/mesh mod and a true (DIY) venturi

turningtim

I think (it was over 2 years ago) I did it for around 150 including the pump. The pump I think was around 65 maybe?
Its all PVC. The collection cup is a jar from a bed/bath store. The mesh mod is Gutter Guard. After the mesh mod and new design venturi I had to raise the neck and lower the water level.
Its really not magic....... but for the money it knocks the snot out of anything you can buy......

Q

qn5

for CSS users... do you use the bubble trap? please post some pics of CSS set up. Thanks

sign guy

Just bought another css yesterday. that makes it a ss65 on my 46 a ss125 on the 75 and a ss220 on the 125 Im getting a mrc3 for the 300 though. as far as bubble traps go all of my skimmers are in the first part of my sump so there was no reson to set em up

sign guy

Originally Posted by TurningTim
Good Idea! I'll play!
Just completely clean my skimmer Weds. night. So this a bit more than two days worth of YUCK.
Nicely loaded mixed reef 55 gal.......
thats a pretty nice set up Id be proud

sign guy

check out this home made skimmer that came with a 75 I bought today. gonna hook it up and see if it skimms as bad as it looks

butters

ive been trying diff ways to get rid of them, but keep going back to the big ole diffuser.... right now, i have a 2in section of PVC glued in the outlet of the SS, from there i have a 90 down to the box.
i tried to route the water to a AC 300, but it was too much flow for it. the bubbles didnt have a chance to make it to the top and the water was very high in it.
has anyone tried putting media bags on the outlet of a skimmer? did it work, and wat micron? im thinkin the bubbles wont be able to make it through a 180 micron bag.

darknes

I followed that link a few years ago to build my own giant counter-current skimmer. It worked great, but being that I'm an amateur diy'er, it was a pain to take apart and clean and ended up leaking. I finally bought a skimmer after that.

triga22

Wow those look great! I dont use the bubble trap on my CSS. Can I take a normal drill and drill the cup so I can send it to a jug?