Why won't my tank cycle??

D

dwindles

I have a 90g tank, 50 lbs LR on 50 lbs base rock, 4 inch DSB with 40 lbs LS. I have had the tank running since early January, adding the rock during the 1st week. I have done periodic water changes, about 10% per week. I keep checking my levels and...
my ammonia was gone within a week. I keep checking the nitrites and they are always over 2ppm. My nitrates go up to about 10-20ppm then I make a water change. I started with an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit....and then thinking it was no good bought a Salifert test kit. Still no change in the levels. Even brought it to the LFS...same results.
I'm running a 20g sump with a Magdrive 1200 for return, AquaC EV 180 skimmer, and a powerhead in the tank (150 gph). 2-110w actinics and 2-250 MH 6500K.
Last check
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 2-3 ppm
Nitrates 10-20 ppm
Calcium 400
dKH 8.6
pH 8.2
I also use Kent Kalkwasser, TurboCalcium, Strontium/Moly, and dKH supplements.
I do have some coralline growing, and more feather dusters developing, also had a diatom bloom during the first 2 weeks.
I even tried keeping the skimmer off, and all that did wias increase the amount of green cyanobacteria slime...so I turned it back on.
I know it can take a while to cycle a tank...and I am new at this, but several people I know with successful reef tanks are telling me it's taking too long??
Any help is appreciated!!! :D

ren

1st off slow down a bit. Turn off the skimmer and stop the water changes till after cycle. Don't add any of the other mixes (kalk n stuff) till cycling is complete and its needed by testing.
All ya want for the cycling is lighting and circulation going. Now to kick-start it throw in 3-4 grocery raw shrimp. let em sit in the tank 4-5 days and you'll get a big ammonia spike goin. Take em out and throw away - sit back and monitor the levels and you'll see the cycle make its circle. after the cycle circle is done then start adding livestock but do go slow!
ohh also try less lighting time to control algea blooms for now. HTH

aggiebear

good to hear someone else had the same issue. I started a 90 gal in Late jan as well....and I never saw the Ammonia spike.
I was told that it was because I had used good cured live rock and live sand and that the good bacteria was already there to keep everything balanced. I have now put in some crabs, snails, and shrimp....all seems to be good.
If I were you I would go ahead and get the clean up crew and get started.

nm reef

The one thing I saw that stuck out was the 10% water changes you have been doing. It is not a good idea to do any water change during the cycle. Each one sets you back as far as the cycle goes. I'd suggest that you leave it be...closely check the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels. Dis-continue additives until after cycle is complete. When you reach 0 ammonia...0 nitrite...less than 5 nitrates then restart additives and look into a clean-up crew. For now only top off and wait for cycle to complete. I would also consider adding a few shrimp(raw) to initiate the ammonia and re-start your cycle. I think you may have messed up your cycle by doing the water changes.

D

dwindles

I did do the shrimp bit during the 1st week, and I have only been running the lights for about 1 -2 hours a day.
What about all the slime algae forming with the skimmer off? I don't want it to cover my rock.
I use only RO/DI for my top off also.
Can I get a clean up crew with the nitrites this high? I was considering that to help keep the unwanted algae controlled a little bit.

jester

just stop the water changes and don't add a crew yet. if you do there is a good chance you will buy them again. don't worry about the algee so much. it will just leave a feast for the crew when the time is rite.

ren

Well a new tank is destined for algea blooms sad as it is. If you did do the shrimp thing didn't you see the ammonia spike? should have. and the water changes weekly threw off the cycle I'm sure. Kinda like using the instant cycl products to try to speed it up. They cause all sorts of wierd readings and timeframes and imp don't completely cycle.
I only do water changes on my tank monthly - 10%
its a 100gl so not very much larger than yours. I'm sure a monthly sked is ok for yours also. But- not till after the cycle- then start the month countdown. just my $0.02

D

dwindles

Thanks for the input!
I'm going to get some more raw shrimp and try it again...this time I'll wait to do any water changes until I see the numbers change, and leave the skimmer off too.
:)

jimi

Dwindles before you do that, have you checked your nitrites with another test kit? With all that live rock and sand you probably never will see a cycle that is the advantage of setting up a tank from the start with live rock, the nitrifying bacteria are already present on the rock and sand.If you are showing that much nitrate tou should not be showing nitrite unless you are overstocked. What is in the tank?

fshhub

another thing jimi, where did he get the rock(lfs or MO) and was it cured??
these too could have an effect on how it cycles, i am inclined ot belive that the cycle has not completed because the water changes and skimmer, since he is showing trites, the trates could have been there from the start depending on the water(btw, waht do you use for water, and do you test it), but do agree that with the rock, it could have passed just as fast too
and as for the time frame, evey tank is different, most with cured lr do so in a month or even less, but they also could take as long as 6 months(sorry to teel you), and i tooo would not add inverts until my trites were zero
HTH

D

dwindles

the tank is still empty except for the lr/ls and water. And yes I have tested the nitrites/ates with 2 different test kits, and the lfs. The nitrites are always >2ppm and my trates 10-20ppm
I got my lr via mail order, it seemed to be good quality...no smell when I opened the box, not much in the way of crabs & snails, but lots of coralline, macroalgae, and small featherduster type worms. My DSB seems to be alive as well with worms.

fshhub

ok, the dsb needs time to start working, so to speak
and the skimmer an dwater changes, IMO could be holding you back some,
when we got our lr online it was cured and it took almost 2 months to cycle with it
i owuld just say to wait a while, it will happen by itself, just watch
the only other thing i can add is do you test your sooource water that you use for changes, they too could have trites or trates in them( i owuld test the source before doing any more water changes, after the cycyle)
hth

my cycle lasted for a long time also. i reduced the amount of lighting and shut down a circulation pump. two days later the brown algae disappeared and i was on my way! :) all levels good.

gtc

There is no way a cycle should last two months with live rock.Seeing as your tank is not overstocked I would add a small hardy fish like a 6 line wrasse to the tank to produce a little more waste. Your bacteria(level of bacteria) may be slow converting nitrite because of the lack of waste.

D

dwindles

So if I turn off the skimmer, add a descent amount of shrimp, and jack up the ammonia levels...my tank should "re-cycle" fairly quickly?