Why wont my zoos open?????

saltaholic

I've had them for probably 3 weeks now. They have been doing fine. Just your normal zoo activity. Then 2 days ago when I turned on my lights, they only partially opened. They stayed like that all day. Then completely close up at night. Now I'm lucky if they partially open. All levels are good. Just checked them again this morning. I am thinking about taking some water to the LFS just so I can have a more thorough check. Is there something else I should do?
Oh and I have 2 other colonies of zoos and they are wide open. Thats why I'm so confused. Are some zoos more touchy than others? :notsure:

saltaholic

Wait....I DO have them!!!!! Oh crap.
Okay.....just breathe....eeeekkk Now my other zoa colony is closing up. Oh GREAT!
So I hear to FW dip them. How do I go about it? And then after the dip, do I just put them back in the tank or slowly acclimate them again.
My fire & ice polyps are completely shut......are they gone or will they bouce back?
HELP!

ross

Just take them out and go over them with a magnifying glass removing any snails or nudis you find. Then throw them in some fw with the same temp for like 5-10min, if they're still relatively healthy they should make it.

moby

Be VERY careful, FW bath will cause osmotic shock if left in too long. This is essentially what kills the pest, but can destroy the zoo's cell membranes as well.
Good luck, sorry to hear this sort of thing. :mad:
Moby

maxalmon

I usually don't leave them for more than a minute or two, best thing to do is use one of those plastic critter cages like the photo below, fill half way with water and float it in your tank to equalize temp. Its also good to kinda shake the zoos while they are in the water, so that the FW get into every nook and cranny. The FW will kill amost evertyhing. I've actually heard thru a lot of the reefclubs and thru a few vendors that they are seeing an increase in critter infestations (sp) in zoo's not sure if there is any merrit to this. Check out zoaid.com for more info on various critters (i'm from AL and we call things like this critters...LOL)