Wich in Sump skimmer should I buy?

biscutz

Hey guys this is my first post on this forum and I have a question for you more advanced reef goers. I'm looking at purchasing an in sump skimmer for my new 90 gal tank. I was considering either the Euro Reef or AuquaC manufactures. Can any of you guys give me anything positive or negative about either one of these guys? Any other skimmers I should be looking at? Thanks a lot!
Ian

redwinger

Originally posted by biscutz
Hey guys this is my first post on this forum and I have a question for you more advanced reef goers. I'm looking at purchasing an in sump skimmer for my new 90 gal tank. I was considering either the Euro Reef or AuquaC manufactures. Can any of you guys give me anything positive or negative about either one of these guys? Any other skimmers I should be looking at? Thanks a lot!
Ian

I am using the Urchin, in sump, made by AquaC. It works great.
The 2 reasons I bought it, and not one of the more expensive AquaC skimmers:
1) Price. 155$ on the internet.
2) Cuz it was made by AquaC. I figure it'd be a poor man's version of the more expensive AquaC models.

niger12

Can't go wrong with EuroReef. One of the most loved skimmers on this site. I have on and it is pretty darn good. I also like and used E.T.S.S. skimmers and compared with my EuroReef they are realy close. Thier are alot of good skimmers on the market. Buy the best one you can afford. In the skimmer world price normally means something. If you are looking at the EV line from AquaC they are also really good. Can't go wrong with any of the three I mentioned.

biscutz

Thanks for the info! Man I just can't choose between the Euro and the EV AquaC 120, I guess I'll have to choose on size, I don't have a whole lot of room.

biscutz

I just bought the AquaC RV 120 w/mag drive! I went with the AuquaC because of the height, can't wait to get it tomorrow! Thanks again guys for all your help...
Ian

niger12

I think you will be pleased. We sell them in the store and people say good things about them. No personal experience.

tunze

Originally posted by biscutz
I guess I'll have to choose on size, I don't have a whole lot of room.

Since size is an issue you might want to check out Tunze skimmers.
Just noticed building controls

Tunze skimmers Automatic skimmer 235/3 This is the one to look for .

murray bmf

I have a Euroreef and have been very happy with it. It's plug and play, just put in the sump and forget about it until it needs to be emptied. So I guess Euroreef gets my vote.

golfish

I'd check out the new ER design skimmers made by Geo. The cost is much less and the quality is much better.

biscutz

Well I received my AquaC EV 120 about a week ago, and let me tell you that this skimmer is amazing! The dry foam that it produces is just nuts! I can even remove the collection cup without the bubbles poping, I guess I never really new what a good skimmer was, coming from a seaclone 100 haha. Thanks for all the advice, I just thought that I would post an update.
Ian

tonypal85

Try out ASM skimmers. There are several vendors that carry them online. They ARE Euroreefs minus the ER price tag. Mine works great! Check them out!

golfish

Originally posted by tonypal85
They ARE Euroreefs minus the ER price tag.

That's not really a fare statement. The ASM work like an ER skimmer but their quality and workmanship is not even close to what ER puts out. You can tell by just picking these skimmers up. Don't get me wrong, the AMS is a good skimmer but its not going to last you a 100 years like the ER.

tonypal85

The fact that a euroreef skimmer will last longer is not true. You are correct that the CS Euroreefs are made of stronger acrylic than an ASM. An ASM skimmer carries about 1/3 the price tag of a comprable ER skimmer. Yes ASM's are made of cheaper acrylic, but if you arent using it for batting practice or if your dog isn't chewing on it like a doggy bone then an ASM skimmer will last just as long as any Euroreef. But I guess if you like to kick your skimmer around then go with a Euroreef.

badkharma

Yeah I have an ASM going in on my 120 and it's quality and workmanship is not as high as a ER, but the fact is the thing just sits there. It comes with the same pumps. I see no reason why it wouldn't last as long (acrylic is acrylic if it just sits there and you don't move it around all the time). If you have money to blow, get the ER. I would. But I got the ASM because of the features of the ER at 1/3 the price. :)

golfish

lets not forget how the collection cup fits on, another huge plus for ER there..I'm not knocking the ASM but lets not say "They ARE Euroreefs minus the ER price tag" because they are not ER's, they don't come close in quality. Their a cheap copy at best.

sly

Originally posted by FLATZBOY
Has anyone ever used the kent nautilis ex. ?????? If so what do you have to say about it.

Haven't used the EX. I have the TE and it's awesome.