Wife picked up a Duncan, help with care- was $$$

naclh2o nut

Wife bought a 12 head Duncan last night for my B-day.
However I haven't read alot on their care. I know it was a nice piece in the LFS and the mother is about 65 heads and the size of a basketball.
Im hoping for some tips, placement, flow and feeding?
I have 2 x 150 M/H and 128 w of actinic. Varied flow through tank. 90 gal bow. Two k4s, 1k2, 150gal skimmer and return.
I can't lose this, she would put me outside.

jerryatrick

Very hardy coral IME. Does not require a ton of light so you could place it on the sandbed. Will acclimate to intense lighting easily. As for flow, I have found that placing them in a low to moderate flow is best. The open up more for me. If you want them to grow fast you can spot feed them a meaty food a few times per week.

naclh2o nut

Thanks for update. I also called the LFS and the said about the same. He likes to keep them in a mod. high with it being alternating current. So I have it in the middle (up and down) of tank, in what should be a mix flow area.( 2 k4s are pointing at each other in front of it. So looks like it will be a mod. with some calm and heavy moments. It is starting to open up under the actinics. Can't wait

jerryatrick

All depends on how you want it to look. I have seen duncans in stronger flow that looked great because the tentacles were constantly moving but the tentacles were not as long. If you want the tentacles to appear longer then you just to need to move it to a lower flow area.

nycbob

Originally Posted by JerryAtrick
http:///forum/post/2978514
Very hardy coral IME. Does not require a ton of light so you could place it on the sandbed. Will acclimate to intense lighting easily. As for flow, I have found that placing them in a low to moderate flow is best. The open up more for me. If you want them to grow fast you can spot feed them a meaty food a few times per week.
+1.

naclh2o nut

update the duncan has come out!
What a wonderful addition. I hate to say it but- DW did a great job picking out the duncan. I have it in front up on a shelf that makes you just sit and stare. The movement is awesome.

Thanks for the input.

candycane

You might want to keep an eye on the branches - for tissue erosion right under the polyps. Some of the time when Duncans are acclimating to new tank conditions, some of the "skin" may start to die off of the branches. This may lead to alga overpopulating the branches at some point if not tended to.

jeffreyyy

I have mine under 2 250W MH about half way up the tank in the middle between 2 K4's in a mod. flow area. I bought one head for $25.00 about 6-7 months ago and now I have around 20- 24 heads. I feed each head every 3 days by hand (I know I shouldn't put my hands in the tank but I am VERY careful with what I handle on feeding day and I wash my hand/ arms very well too) but I like the interaction.
But good luck with yours and lets see some pics when you get a chance.
Jeff