Wife wants colorful fish????

J

jaybird101

I have a 44 gal corner tank. It has finally finished it's cycle. All zeros. :jumping:
I have a Yellow Tang, and a cleaner shrimp. Thats all that survived my early start up.

I want to keep it a FOWLR tank. I currently have 7 lbs of LR. With a Topfin 60 Power filter.
More live rock to come. I also have 2 1/2 inches of LS in the bottom on top of CC.
What types of colorful fish should I get to place in the tank with the Tang?
She likes Clowns.
Also I up graded the light bulb to a Marine-Glo 15W that projects a actinic Blue spectrum.
Is this good for a FOWLR tank? or did I go overboard with the light bulb chose?

jon321

Do you just have 1 bulb? actinics really only used in conjunction with other bulbs. Too much blue to be used alone. Id look at 50/50 bulbs.
About the fish:
Id recommend you look at the dwarf angels, like the coral beauty or cherub. Clownfish, royal gramma, pajama cardinalfish, firefish, chromis, six line wrasse, flame hawkfish and so forth. All are suitable for that size tank, hardy, accesable, and reasonably priced. Simply put the names into google image search to see what each looks like if you dont know.
And as a side note, the yellow tang really isnt suitable for a 44g tank.
Jon

coachklm

ok ready .....
just a suggestion before the police come...
tang will stress out and suffer in that size tank... i know you dont want to but see if you can take it back for store credit....get a dwarf angel(flame angel or others) very colorful....

turningtim

Originally Posted by coachKLM
ok ready .....
just a suggestion before the police come...
tang will stress out and suffer in that size tank... i know you dont want to but see if you can take it back for store credit....get a dwarf angel(flame angel or others) very colorful....
YUP! I think a lemon peal has the same color as the tang.

merredeth

Yeah, I'd get rid of the yellow tang as it will die.
MUCH, MUCH later on after your tang is well established (a year) maybe a mandarin if you like color.
Flame angel is a nice red and I believe they can go in your tank if she wants red.
Strawberry Psuedochromis if she likes pink.
Really though, most of the bigger fish can't go into your tank.
Denise M.

B

big fish

I would go with a coral beauty they are very colorful fish we love ours.

J

jaybird101

How many of these fish should I get? I was told about 2-3 inches per gal.
And will all or any of them get along with each other?

J

jaybird101

Originally Posted by Jon321
Do you just have 1 bulb? actinics really only used in conjunction with other bulbs. Too much blue to be used alone. Id look at 50/50 bulbs.
About the fish:
Id recommend you look at the dwarf angels, like the coral beauty or cherub. Clownfish, royal gramma, pajama cardinalfish, firefish, chromis, six line wrasse, flame hawkfish and so forth. All are suitable for that size tank, hardy, accesable, and reasonably priced. Simply put the names into google image search to see what each looks like if you dont know.
And as a side note, the yellow tang really isnt suitable for a 44g tank.
Jon
How many of these fish should I get? And will they all or some of them get along with each other?

yimmy

I"m not sure but I wouldn't reccomend putting LS ontop of cc. For fish I would look at dwarf angels. I would also look at some of the blennies which have quite the personality.

dmill15

I just have damsel fish in my 50 gal now and am very happy with them. I have 3 yellow damsels, 3 azure damsels. 2 limbaugi chromis, and 2 neon blue star damsels. IMO they move alot more than the bigger fish (tangs, angels) and I like the colors better.