Wild Caught Inverts

fowlr13

I go to a beach in NY and every time at low tide.I see little hermit crabs and snails crawling around.And they look a lot like the ones I see at LFS.Maybe not as colorful,but still the same group of creature.So I was wondering if it is possible to catch a few this summer and bring them home and acclimate them to my tank.My trigger and even my soon to be puffer might eat some.But why spend so much money on a cleanup crew when you can get as much as you want for free at the beach.It may not have as many different tropical species like fighting conch or urchins.But can still get the job done either way(and become food dorky fish in a way).

fowlr13

Sorry for dorky somehow getting in there.The spellcheck on my computer being a pain again when typing.

trigger40

i used to do that with fish like bass, brim, drums and invetrs like craw fish, hermits, blue crab,and blennies, barracuda, parrot fish, mollies, kille fish, shrimp, silver sides, pin fish, a striped burr fish named Mr.pickles, ect . its very tricky and risky. doing this can introduse all sorts of parisites and diseses. and i find it to be very tricky to get them used to tank life. about 75% of the animals you colect will die. with the exception of hermits. and a few snails. but i had about a dozen 10g, one 30, two 40 breeders. a 55g. a 100g, a 25g, two 35gs. so i had a lot qt tanks. and places to keep them befor selling them to fund our reserch. but you need a lot of tanks to sort and qt. another thing you must keep in mind is wether your tank can sapport the life you want.you must ask questions like does your tank provide the right food. temp, ph, salinaty or do you have the correct alge for those snails. and sence you are living in ny thes critter will probally like cooler water and that might stress ether your snails or your fish. also try to get the smaller ones they tend to adapt better. wish you luck!