Will a protein skimmer help get rid of Diatom Algae?

drmojoxl

I thought I had it under control until I upgraded my lighting. Now I'm fighting the same battle again. I don't have the $$ for a RO/DI system and am scared to use distilled water because I have heard that it can be distilled in copper bins. All I use now is tap water which is full of phosphates. Any advice?

mlm

See if you can buy RO water from your LFS. If not Diatoms usually go away after a while or get some snails to eat them.

drmojoxl

I have a cleanup crew but they don't put a dent in it. My LFS don't offer RO water for sale. Any more suggestions?

jonthefb

i would reccommend getting your water from another source, but as you stated before it would be a pain to lug gian jugs around walmart. if nothing else, try getting a brita pr pur water filter, test your water before and after running through these guys and see if its any better, if not, you might just have to either wait it out or get ripped and head down to wal mart!
good luck
jon

wrassecal

I'm not sure about your water woes but if you are experiencing the diatom bloom due to the upgrade in lighting it will go away by itself in a few weeks.

michelle13

I recently had this problem so I bought a $30 water filter from a certain website that deals with aquariums. I love it! It removes everything and all I have to do is hook it up to my faucet and then put the other end in a plastic jug. Works great. Let me know if you would like the website. Good Luck!

C

celticsun

Hey all,
You could spend 7 to 10 bucks on a magnet scraper to take the algea off the glass, toss in your snails and hermit crabs and let them enjoy the rest of the algea in the tank. I had a nasty bloom 3 days ago, I spent 2 hours cleaning the glass and left the rest for the critters which do a bang up job anyway. Give them a week or 2 you should see a difference!
This is the cheap way of solving your problem! It works for me!
celticsun:D

nasotang00

Go to petsmart or pet co. and get a aquarium systems tap water purifier for about 30 bucks. refill cartridges are only about 17 bucks. depending on the quality of your tap water, you should be able to get a minimum of 50 gallons from one cartridge.
For buckets or containers, find a spring water seller in your area and see if you can buy some old empty 5 gallon containers with caps.
I use the tap water purifier with my tap water, I get about 50 gallons or great DI water. I have tested for phosphates, nitrates, copper, etc and all come out clean.
My $.02
Naso~

Originally posted by nasotang00
Go to petsmart or pet co. and get a aquarium systems tap water purifier for about 30 bucks. refill cartridges are only about 17 bucks. depending on the quality of your tap water, you should be able to get a minimum of 50 gallons from one cartridge.
Naso~

I have always wondered how well they work. Looks like i have going to have to go to the local pet co here and get one ... if i dont get kicked out again for getting pissed off on how the morons keep there reptiles. LOL they luv me. :D