Will a toby fit in a 28g nano?

trippkid

All of the Tobie's I know are too big to fit in there, plus they might not like living in an aquarium. Some small gobies on the other hand should be OK. I hope that is what you meant.

Matt

mike22cha

Well in Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael it says it can, but why would you want one? That means you can't have any inverts or corals and most nanos are reef tanks.

trippkid

Gotcha, thanks. I'm not a big fish fan, corals are my thing. I guess I need to start reading up on fish again. Yes, I probably wouldn't do it if you want a reef or other small fish in there too. Sorry, about previous posts, was trying to be a little funny. Good luck

Matt

kanicky

In a tank that small, if you did get a Toby, it'd be best if he was the only fish in there, as they are messy eaters and even bigger... well, you get the idea
However, they are GREAT fish, full of personality.
I have a Valentini, and he doesn't mess with my zoo's or mushrooms. He does like to ambush the snails and hermit crabs, though

mike22cha

Yes but that means you're going to need a lot of filtration. A toby by itself would need a lot but combinding it with two more fish.

kanicky

Mine does well in a community tank that includes two False Percs, so no worries there.
However, I agree that there would have to be mad filtration and absolutely NO other fish, if you did the Toby/Percs.
Good luck!

scubaguy

I also have Toby and he is in with a pinkdotty, blue damsel, and two percula. They live happily in a 35 gallon, mine leave the inverts alone but do not have any clams

reef diver

The toby should be the only fish in there, and why not just get a mantis! Great for a 28 gallon, completely reef safe, except for shrimp snails and all types of crabs o course, and I wouldnt reccomend fish, but mantis have lots of personality! Mine is like me, he lazes around all day, gets up, looks around, goes back to bedm then late in teh day Poof Hes Awake!

squirreloso

the toby should be fine in there i think also.
tobies arent very active fish, they just sorta hand out waiting for food.
i dont see them producing tons of waste compared to a porc puffer.
and yes they will do fine with a pair of clowns
mine only has beef with the snowflake eel for some reason

kanicky

On the contrary, my Valentini Puffer is incredibly active, always exploring the tank, looking into every nook and cranny, and of course, following me across the room.
Any Puffer is a big waste producer, but of course, because of their smaller size, they [the Tobies] aren't as messy as the bigger ones. In a 28 gallon tank, there will be a lot of waste, both from food and from excrement... like I said, make sure you have adequate skimming and you'll be fine