Will a trigger eat hermit crabs?

pkzbliss

I love the hermit crabs and am planning on haaving dozens of them..would a trigger definately eat them for sure?

fmarini

Hi:
it will depend on the type of trigger. Expect the rhinecanthus triggers (huma's, picasso's, etc) to eat them, and the planktonic feeding triggers (like niger, bluecheek, pinktails, etc) not to. Of course every trigger is an individual and some are more mellow and some are the spawn of satan.
frank

rapt0r32

I had a Huma and a Hermit together and the Huma ignored the hermit. I guess I was lucky. Usually Huma's will go after them. Only thing that has really paid any attention to my hermit is my snowflake...

perchpsk

I have kept a 4" picaso, a 3" niger and a 7" clown and the only one that really bothered them was my picasso. he devoured about 20 snails and 15 hermit crabs in a week... he is a beast though. its tough to say what one fish will do. as a rule though the triggers will probably be opportunistic and eat snails and hermits

benihuma

I used to have a hermit the size of a plum, and everyone left him alone. He would eat all the stuff off the sand and any leftovers from my messy triggers. He lived for about 4 months and then just up and died. If I see another one I plan on picking it up.
Ben