will algaecide kill coralline?

squirreloso

My fish only tank is plagued with green hard coralline on the back glass and sides. Its harder to remove than pink coralline. Ive been using the kent pro scraper with metal blade and i barely put a dent in this stuff.
Its really beyond my control. so i thought if an algaecide would be effective against coralline as well?
Is coralline even algae??
I bought some marc weiis algae magic, but im not sure if this stuff is for hard green coralline??

alix2.0

if it does kill it wont it just turn white? it will still be there... plus if you have coralline on your rocks its gonna make them look nasty too...
BTW i have no idea if it will even kill it. i personally wouldnt use an algicide, just because i dont want unnesecary chemicals in my water.

paintballer768

Coralline is algae so I think it will. I would never use algaecide, just get snails and wait for the coralline to overrun the hair/slime algae.

squirreloso

Originally Posted by paintballer768
Coralline is algae so I think it will. I would never use algaecide, just get snails and wait for the coralline to overrun the hair/slime algae.
red/slime algae?
no its green coralline, not slime. i dont have any cyano or hair algae of any kind in this tank.
coralline comes in many varieties, green is the monster of coralline. now if it were the more rare orange kind i wouldnt be complaining

well i added the algae magic. it says its not an algaecide, but an organic algae controller that uses oxygen?? it smelled purty, like peppermints, fish are showing no signs of stress, but i am watching them
not sure if this stuff will have any influence on coralline tho :(

alix2.0

i think he knows that your not talking about nuisance algae, i think he was pointing out that the great thing about coralline algae is no nuisance algae can grow on top of it...
but yeah i dont have any experience with the stuff you are using but it sounds like one of those "products" that sound good in theory but rarely work. i hope it does though, because you sound like your really annoyed with that crap.
i agree green coralline is nasty.

Most corals have algea in them, so killing the algea will bleach the corals. Plus, I don't trust algeacide. Anything that kills some thing has to have sidefecs. If you have an algea problem, fix your water and stuff and it will go away.

squirreloso

Originally Posted by turtlegirl933
Most corals have algea in them, so killing the algea will bleach the corals. Plus, I don't trust algeacide. Anything that kills some thing has to have sidefecs. If you have an algea problem, fix your water and stuff and it will go away.

argh no one understands

1. I dont have corals in this tank
2. I dont have an algae problem
My water is in tip top shape, which is why i have CORALLINE and NOT problem algae (problem algae like, hair or cyano)
coralline algae grows in tanks that are mature (which mine is) and that has excellent water quality (which mine does)

alix2.0

we understand... were just trying to give you a little info...
you asked if you should put the stuff in your tank. the general consensus was no, but you did it anyways (which youre free to do). now that its there i dont understand what youre asking. sounds to me like it will either kill the coralline or do absolutely nothing. just sit back and watch. update us if it works.

yosemite sam

What sort of algaecide are you thinking of adding? What else is in your tank? I can't see how this would ever be a good idea.

squirreloso

I put in algae magic by marc weiss
ive been scraping it with kents pro scraper, it is a metal blade
just thought maybe someone would know if this stuff or any other algaecide would effectively kill off coralline, i see no one is really experienced enough to give a straight forward answer.
I dont need info on nuisance algae which i am well informed about being ive been doing this for over a decade now.
Killing coralline off other than removing it with a blade is something i wanted info about
Im tired of scraping
Algaecides if used properly in a well maintained tank do little harm if any at all to inhabitants, ive been there, done that.
I guess i will find out myself in time if algaecides have any effect on coralline.
algae magic is however not an algaecide
http://www.weissorganics.com/algaemagic.html

yosemite sam

I guess I'm still not sure why you want to kill all of your coralline. I understand it can be an eyesore, but you risk killing all of your coralline, not just the green stuff. This will turn all of your rock white and increase the chances of nuisance algae growing. Plus, even with it dead, you're still going to have to scrape it all off. I don't think anyone is directly answering your question because I've never heard of anyone trying to kill their coraline algae.

Originally Posted by turtlegirl933
Yes, it will kill ALL ALGEA as well as the algea inside corals.
Again, he doesn't have any coral...moot point.
Looks to me like the product is meant to speed up the nitrifying bacteria to more effectively convert nitrates before any nuisance algae has the chance to use them to grow. If thats the case, i don't think it is going to do anything to the coralline.

squirreloso

Originally Posted by offsetfactor
Again, he doesn't have any coral...moot point.
Looks to me like the product is meant to speed up the nitrifying bacteria to more effectively convert nitrates before any nuisance algae has the chance to use them to grow. If thats the case, i don't think it is going to do anything to the coralline.
thank you, someone who can read

your probably right, its not going to do anything for coralline. ahh i tried :(

wangotango

I still don't understand why you want to get rid of the coraline either, but it's your tank.
I know you said you have perfect water conditions, but how are your alkalinity and calcium? Since it's not a reef, you might be able to bring them down a bit which may slow down the growth.
Some urchins will also eat coraline.
-Justin