Will be Starting Hypo Treament Soon

alvin

Question about pH levels. Am I supposed to keep pH level the same as my Display Tank in the Hyposalinity Tank? Which i think is around 8.2?
I caught my FoxFace and am currently lowering the Salinty. Well not now since i'm at work, but will start again when I get home. Just wondering about pH for now.

J

jstdv8

yes. PH should always be as close to 8.3 as possible.
If it dips down to 7.8 or so that is acceptable.

pauloesco

Agree - keep Ph at DT levels. But, if it falls, raise it very slowly. Ph shocks are far more dangerous to your fish than salinity. Like, you shouldn't move it by more than a o.1 unit in a day, according to the experts. And don't use your usual buffers, use baking soda.

alvin

Ok, I went home for a bit, and my Foxface is looking very pale/white. The part where it is usually black, is very light. It's a magnificent foxface. All the level looks good, the SG is at 1.009. I just got it to that level last night.
could that be the reason? I tried to give it some food, of course it did not eat. Should I wait a couple of days for it to get situated before giving it more food?
How often should I do water changes?

J

jstdv8

It's likley freaked out. fish loose thier color like that when they are stressed.
Too small a QT tank perhaps or you are messing around next to the tank alot or its completley dark in his area at night. (seriously a nightlight might help) MY yellow tang is afraid of the dark :p

alvin

I was messing around with the tank a lot. getting pH Readings and salinity. But now that i'm done, i'll back off. I'll find a night light.
Thanks for the tip.
Any tips about when to start feeding him and water changes?

J

jstdv8

you can start feeding any time, don't overfeed in there and watch the tank daily for any ammonia. Water changes should be done if any ammonia is found, preferably before.

alvin

Ok, the color on the foxface is better. He is eating. I will plan on water changes every other day or so. Thanks and I will keep this thread updated if anything exciting happens.
So far no more white dots. So I will start the 4 week count down today 11/15.

alvin

So I started raising the salinty on Tuesday, but I've noticed that since around Saturday, my FoxFace has been acting a bit weird and is NOT eating anymore. Plus the water is a bit cloudy.
I'm kind of stuck on what to do next. I'm probably going to soak some food in Garlic to get him to eat.
Also what i noticed is when I suck the uneaten food from the bottom, he/she doesn't go all crazy. It just swims right by my hands. In the beginning it should swim all crazy and hide. Now I can literally touch it on its side and it doesn't get scared. Is it blind now or something? is it normal during raising salinity.

D

denniscoy420

Look if you dontdo something soon the foxface wont live another ick cycle , my fish eat food the day they died with all the garlic and additives you can get . I have done the ick battle and the HYPO is the best way to go and, copper is unsafe and not always work, bad side affects,
I would setup a QT tank ASAP
50% tank water
50% fresh made saltwater
let it run for 24 hours and start trying to catch ur fish ,
I have learn that making a trap out of 2 liter bottle works great for me utube has great videos,
also I would leave the DT empty for 6 weeks
I wouldnt start the hypo process for a couple of days to allow the fish to get used to the new tank
I wouldnt turn the lights on day one either, but I would fill the tank with PCV pipes and someother hiding places
I have a old castle that is from the 90s I threw in mine they always seem to love something to hide in.
after the hypo process the main tank should be ick free
if u did all the steps right in the hypo in the QT to rid all the unseen ick away from ur fish
GL and in the end no fish can beat ick

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauloEsco http:///forum/thread/381578/will-be-starting-hypo-treament-soon#post_3324668
Your fluval ultimately wont work as Bio filtration as the bacteria who break down ammonia wont survive in the hyposaline water.
Actually, biofilter is fine under hypo. However, there is plenty of reason for ammonia spikes in a non-cycled small QT. Be prepared for daily water changes. Seed the QT with a few cups of sand from your display tank. I'd use 100% tank water. Better for acclimating fish, and will provide the QT with a boost in the biofilter.