Will Beneficial Bacteria grow with Ammonia at 2.00

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Only until the ammonia goes down, at which point the excess bacteria starves. That's why "hard" cycles are counter-productive. They produce toxins that kill a lot of micro-flora and fauna and for no long term benefit.
It's a myth that water changes affect the cycle. Do one immediately, and slap whoever told you not to do so.
In that case you will have to slap basically every author or anyone that knows anything about saltwater. Unless you know some heavy MMA I advise you not.
Of course it affects the cycling, you will slow down the cycle process.
I advise you to stop doing water change and let it cycle, I had a ammonia level at 6.0 with uncured rock. 3 weeks fully cycle. I still have nas snail and plenty of life form growing, and plenty of worms.
Read some books about cycling !! or google it.

michaeltx

that really depends there are alot of new things that are being discovered over the last year or so about whats good or bad for the cycle process before it was considered to be a bad thing to a water change until everything was 0 except nitrates now they are finding that the high ammonia levels are actually hurting the other bacteria and its better to do a water change to keep ammonia at certain levels under 1 or so. This hobby is always changing though and new ideas and discoveries are being made.
Mike

jpc763

The filter pad is in the fuge of my DT, not in my QT. It has been in there for a few days (since Friday night). I was going to drop it into the QT for a few days to augment the bacteria.
I will test all 3 tonight and post the results.
1- Is it ready to transfer?
2- How long should I keep it in the QT once I put it in there?
Thanks, J

Mike, I'm sure salterwater hobby has sucessfully lasted more then 50 years without that little info to keep changing the water to keep ammonia level down to less the 1.0.
I'm sure you will get a cycle but I am assuming 6 months or more depending on the frequent water change.
This thread is great for a QT tank where your med keeps destroying the bacteria and you keep doing water changes.
I have too much time on my hand today

Ok I'm leaving..
Originally Posted by MichaelTX
that really depends there are alot of new things that are being discovered over the last year or so about whats good or bad for the cycle process before it was considered to be a bad thing to a water change until everything was 0 except nitrates now they are finding that the high ammonia levels are actually hurting the other bacteria and its better to do a water change to keep ammonia at certain levels under 1 or so. This hobby is always changing though and new ideas and discoveries are being made.
Mike

jpc763

OK, I did the 3 tests tonight... drum roll pleaseAmmonia: 1.0

Nitrite: 0.25
Nitrate: 5.0
It appears that I have a source of ammonia in this little 5g tank with 1/2 cup of LS from my DT and 6 or 7 small (1-2") pieces of LR. My ammonia has only gone down due to water changes it appears.
I am very frustrated by this. Here is my cronology...
9/3 Filled QT - 3.5g DT water, 1.5g new SW; 1/2 cup LS; 7 small LR pieces

9/4 Amm: 2.0
9/5 Amm: 2.0; NO2: 0.25
9/6 Amm: 2.0; NO2: 0.0
9/7 Amm: 2.0; NO2: 0.25
9/8 Amm: 2.0 - 2.5g Water Change

9/9 Amm: 1.0; NO2: 0.0 - 2.5g Water Change

9/10 Amm: 1.0; NO2: 0.0 - 1g Water Change

9/11 Amm: 1.0; NO2: 0.25; NO3: 5.0
What gives? My DT cycle was MUCH EASIER than this thing!

some1fishy

this is just my .02: is there by chance and chance only that there may be a small piece of rotten shrimp left in your tank?? under a rock or sucked up in filter?? just a thought... if you used DT water and have done so many changes, it almost seems inevitable that you would get more of a drastic change in parameters.. I understand that larger tanks are easier to stabilize than smaller ones, but it just doesnt seem right to me.
Next question is.... how old is your test kit? I think I may have missed that one. again, just my .02.

jpc763

Well I have moved around the rubble and cleaned the fliter pad in the little tank. I have not found any shrimp pieces, but that is a good point and I will search hard tonight.
The test kit is brand new. I brought my DT up in early July and bought the kit then. I use the same kit for my DT.
Frankly if the small filter pad from the DT fuge doesn't do anything, I am going to dump the thing out and start over.

All I want to see is progress people!!! I don't need it to cycle tomorrow, but I want to see progress!!! Sorry for the rant!

1journeyman

Originally Posted by 3stripedamsel
In that case you will have to slap basically every author or anyone that knows anything about saltwater. Unless you know some heavy MMA I advise you not.
Of course it affects the cycling, you will slow down the cycle process.
I advise you to stop doing water change and let it cycle, I had a ammonia level at 6.0 with uncured rock. 3 weeks fully cycle. I still have nas snail and plenty of life form growing, and plenty of worms.
Read some books about cycling !! or google it.
Do a search on this forum for an email I received from Dr. Fenner stating that water changes above 1ppm are lethal for even beneficial bacteria. Futhermore in "Reef Invertebrates" by Calfo and Fenner the section on curing live rock goes into great detail on why it is important to do water changes.
Water changes do not affect a cycle. Your bacteria is not free floating.

jpc763

My test kit is an API Saltwater Master kit with pH, Amm, NO2, NO3 tests. I also have an API Reef Master kit with kH, PO, Ca and NO3.
Thanks, J

jpc763

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
do you have an LFS close by that will test your water just to second the test kits that you have?
Mike
Good Idea. I have 2 nearby LFS to my house and 2 near my work.
Could I grab some water and drive to work and get it tested a couple of hours later when the shop opens?
J