Will clowns host a white Sebae Anemone after...

noah's nemo

not having one.The clowns have been in my tank(75 gal.) for 5 months with no anemone.My lfs just got one in and it looks good.If i add it to my tank will they try to host it.Is it even the right kind??

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Noah's Nemo
not having one.The clowns have been in my tank(75 gal.) for 5 months with no anemone.My lfs just got one in and it looks good.If i add it to my tank will they try to host it.Is it even the right kind??

They may they may not.. not an easy question. Your chances of them hosting IMO increase if they were wild caught clowns. There is no time limit on when or if they will host, if the instinct hasnt been supressed over generations of tank breeding IMO they will. Depending on the species of clownfish the seabae may or may not be its natural host. But that doesnt mean it wont host it. Clown fish have been known to ignore anemones and host corals instead its a gamble either way.

perfectdark

O.K thank you.They are false percs.The anemone is nice looking,so i may just get it anyway

I am concerned about the word "White" when you refer to the anemone.. Please use caution before you purchase an anemone, make sure its healthy and that includes coloration, among other things. Tank perameters, water chemistry, tank maturity, lights... Too often people by what they believe to be a healty specimine given the description or advise from their LFS only to find out they were lead astray..... just FYI

noah's nemo

Yes i will.Thank you.I looked up White Sebae Anemone on this site ,and it is identical to the one in the store.My tank is 6months old(is that too new?)I thought also since it just came in it would be healthy.

perfectdark

Yes i will.Thank you.I looked up White Sebae Anemone on this site ,and it is identical to the one in the store.My tank is 6months old(is that too new?)I thought also since it just came in it would be healthy.

Keep in mind there is no such thing as a healthy white anemone. White tenticles or transparent tenticles is a sign of bleaching. The one listed on this site IMO is a tad bleached in the photo. White yes but not pure bright white, the presence of zooxanthellea will give the appearance of a tan or brownish under tone. Especially in the base and foot of the animal. Bleaching will most likley start at the tenticles and from there travel down. They can recover from being bleached but its not uncommon for them to hide from your lights if they are. Supplemental feedings help the healing process, and in a few months depending on your lighting they can recover. Sebaes require very high lighting MH is recomended. If you had the proper wattage you maybe able to keep on healthy under HOT5 's with individual reflectors.

noah's nemo

Ok. Thanks for all the info,I think I will hold off.I do not have the set up right now for that type of lighting.All i have is the strip lighting.One Actinic white,and a wide spectrum white.Thanks again..

ocellaris_keeper

Clown fish or anenome fish are named that because that's what they are wired to do.
the real quesiotn is - what is the right temperature for the anemone? A lot of them are cold water animals and don't belong on a reef and will perish. Look it up and make the safe decision.
O.K thank you.They are false percs.The anemone is nice looking,so i may just get it anyway
I have no corals.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by ocellaris_keeper
Clown fish or anenome fish are named that because that's what they are wired to do.
the real quesiotn is - what is the right temperature for the anemone? A lot of them are cold water animals and don't belong on a reef and will perish. Look it up and make the safe decision.
Not sure where you got that information from but the anemones asked about among about 6 others I can call off the top of my head that are common to this hobby are all tropical and require temperatures typical to our reef systems. Very few if any well know LFS or distributers are even capable of getting cold water species of any live stock. They are not easy to find, so this wouldnt be a common mistake to make.