will cured rock give an ammonia spike?

newfishguy

I'm going to cycle a tank starting tomorrow as well as cure some rock in a seperate container. If I cycle a tank with just live sand and a dead shrimp will it recycle after I put cured rock in it?

bigarn

Originally Posted by newfishguy
I'm going to cycle a tank starting tomorrow as well as cure some rock in a seperate container. If I cycle a tank with just live sand and a dead shrimp will it recycle after I put cured rock in it?
Why not just cycle the tank with the uncured rock instead of curing it seperately?

newfishguy

Can I put the live sand in with the uncured rock?
Originally Posted by bigarn
Why not just cycle the tank with the uncured rock instead of curing it seperately?

newfishguy

Thanks. Ill give that a try tomorrow. Do I still do water changes while cycling the tank since it has uncured rock in it? How often and how much of a water change should I do?
I don't understand why changing the water wouldn't mess up the cycle.
Originally Posted by bigarn
You sure could ... that would be the best way to do it IMO.

bigarn

You can either wait until the ammonia and nitrites spike and go to 0, or do a water change once the ammonia spikes. Both ways seem to work, but the second method is said to save more of the critters in the LR. It's up to you.

hot883

yes, wait for the spike then change about 20-25% IMO will be best. After that about 10% everyweek.

ziggy002

cycle them both at the same time.............you will save yourself alot of money and headaches..............trust me.............my whole tank crashed because i tried that :mad: