Will Current 1/10hp chiller be enough?

dplantz

I had to buy this light from a guy, so now I have 2 250w metal halide systems. One will be over my 30g and one will be over my 20g frag tank. These tanks will be inline, and a total of about 40-50g. Will this chiller work? I think I'll get a used one and I have heard nothing but good things about it so far.

nordy

I have the Current USA 1/15hp chiller in my 55gal reef tank and it does fine. I got it before I turned the A/C on this season and it kept the tank at a rock steady 79 degrees, even with all my pumps and lights and the room being at 85 degrees or so. It is very, very, quiet! While I don't have the MH lights like you do, I do have the Nova extreme pro with 6 x 54W and 5 Koralia PH's and the tank got to 86-87 a few times just before the chiller arrived and I lost some corals.
I would recommend upgrading your pump when you add the chiller as they require a certain amount of flow to work properly. Check out the pic for how I put in a bypass valve system if I ever need to just valve off the chiller.

nordy

I just went to my LFS and got one they had with more GPH than my old one had. I don't have a brand to recommend, perhaps others will chime in?
I would suggest checking the GPH recommended for the chiller, then get the next size up from that. Adding a chiller, tubing, valving, etc, to your 2 tank system should make upsizing GPH a good idea. Thinking about having 2 tanks, with possibly different temperature issues, could mean designing some type of valving system to distribute intake and return flow as needed to maintain each tank at your desired temp level. Those PVC valves work petty well and are cheap too.
Post some pics when you get the chiller plumbed in and working-sounds like an interesting project!

siline

Originally Posted by dplantz
http:///forum/post/2711830
Would a 1/15 chiller work? I read these are good up to 50g?
It depends on the ambient temperature of the room that you have the tank + the heat that the lightning (+ other equip) that they produce.
As of how they work... they work real nice & quiet. The 1/15 may work on a 50 gal, but ONLY if the difference in the actual temp vs the desired temp in the tank is NOT to big. I have the 1/4 hp version of the CURRENT USA on my 75g, but here in PR, we have the endless summer... with temp ranging from 85 to 100 F all year long... and with the KW/h around .30-.35 cent it IS VERY EXPENSIVE to have the A/C running all the time.
BTW, in the chiller theme, the BIGGER THE BETTER. Why? Because, if you have a chiller that works in the borderline capacity, it IS going to be working most of the time, perhaps, if you have a bigger chiller, it is going to work less & btw, consume LESS energy on the long run (and the chiller will last you longer too).

dplantz

Ok thanks. I was thinking of going with the 1/10 anyway as my dad keeps the house at about 80 degrees to cut back on the electric bill (its hot here too!)

skipperdz

the greater the hp the easier the chiller works. if you can afford it go for the one with more horsepower. i plan on getting a 1/3 for my 55g because i will be upgrading to a 180 eventually and dont want to get another chiller.

D

dennis210

I have the 1/10 hp chiller you mentioned on a 65 gallon woth sump. Actual rating says up to 55 gallon tanks. I believe I am at the limit for this chiller as it will hold 80 without running continously, but if I lower the setting to 79 the chiller runs nonstop and still only shows 80. I have 58 gallons in this system total.

fau8

for your current setup you should be fine, but you have no room to grow. I would recommend the 1/5 hp