Will Emerald Crab Do the Trick?

R

ricka

hello good clean swf'ers. wondering how to rid the tank of that nuisance algae shown in lower left? water parameters are great, 0 phosphates (use purigen). new lights too. i've pulled it off but keeps growing back.
is it time to get an emerald to clean up the mess? 12g nano tank. snails and herms won't touch it...figures.
thanks in advance.

nigerbang

I have never had any luck with emerald crabs eating any kind of algae...EVER.. Some do, I just havent been lucky yet..

florida joe

I also do not think the emerald is your answer you may have to consider a chemical applied to the algae

nigerbang

Not sure if it would work but, you could try and smother it with Kalk and it might burn it off...

mboswell1982

you have what looks to be derbesia, ive got the same thing in my tank, but, im leaving mine, its an excellent filtration system

R

ricka

Originally Posted by mboswell1982
http:///forum/post/2938896
you have what looks to be derbesia, ive got the same thing in my tank, but, im leaving mine, its an excellent filtration system
really? hmm. i don't mind it actually and suppose i could just pull it off when it gets too unruly. wierd that its only on one side of the tank too.

always learn something new in here.

dustyboy316

I love the look of algae in a controlled amount. If it's good I would be keeping it myself.
I personally have 2 Emeralds in my 10 G and they do a decent job on the algae. They usually hide when I'm around, but I see them picking it off of rocks and such.
I would say my snails do half of the cleaning too.

mboswell1982

i have the exact same algae in my tank, and i happen to really like the look of it, here's a pic of my tank so far

the_hadleys

IMO, it looks really good in your tank! Just a touch of green with all that pretty coraline. Like you said, if it gets unruly you can trim it... Just my two cents worth. :eek:)

red crab

an emerald will help. i would do a sally light foot crab i have one it is about 3 inches. it dose the job. nice tank!

red crab

an emerald will help but i would get a sally light foot crab.i have one it is about 3 inches. nice tank!

crypt keeper

mine did. and my turbo ate it like a lawn mower. If you have one just put him near or on top of the algae. It will knock it out