Will GSP spread if rock is in sand?

azfishgal

So that is the question, if my GSP is on a rock that's in the sand, and not toaching any other rock, will it still spread to the sand? From what I've read these things can spread like wild fire and I was just wondering if this would slow it down.

katz

Yes it will spread on the sand.
I do not have any but a local LFS does and it has taken over the back half of their DT. It surrounds the powerhead and is all over the sand.
Katz

rick58

It will start to grow out over the sand. When it does just pick up the rock, tear off the piece that is growing out and sell it back to the fish store. Easy store credit, and the easiest fragging you'll ever do.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by Rick58
It will start to grow out over the sand. When it does just pick up the rock, tear off the piece that is growing out and sell it back to the fish store. Easy store credit, and the easiest fragging you'll ever do.
Great idea, I think I'll leave it in the sand then.

nygel

mine grows over the sand, its like a giant piece of rubber now. It won't attach to rock either, I placed one under it for a while and got nothing.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by nYgel
mine grows over the sand, its like a giant piece of rubber now. It won't attach to rock either, I placed one under it for a while and got nothing.
Really? That sounds a little odd....... :notsure: But it will attach to rock if it spreads to the rock initially, right?

rabid frog

Ya it will. I always super glue the underside of it. It will stick to the rock and spread then. The stuff does grow amazingly fast and fetches good store credit at most lfs'. I think my lfs gives me around 25.00 for a 5 inch frag of it.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by rabid frog
Ya it will. I always super glue the underside of it. It will stick to the rock and spread then. The stuff does grow amazingly fast and fetches good store credit at most lfs'. I think my lfs gives me around 25.00 for a 5 inch frag of it.
Cool.
That will be a nice thing, for my tank to start paying for itself.