Will hermit crabs attack fish ?

ryeomans

Yes they do - the list of expensive meals for my 2" hermit includes 1 dwarf lion, 1 small volitans and his most recent feast - a 1 1/2" niger trigger on Sunday. I've seen him try to grab fish before but they've always been to quick for him - I figure he hunts them down while they're sleeping. Needless to say, crab got a new home on Monday morning in a spare Ecpilse I had.

ladyhawk

To add to that, a friend of mine WATCHED his crab catch his EEL and kill him and eat him.
Hungry little buggers.

Well, I learned to day that they will go after STARFISH too, he went and caught 2 serpents and as I was freeing them, another went after a brittle. My hermits are going to the river via the sewer !!!! Unless someone wants them.

c_bell

I have 3 pretty large hermit crabs, and they havent really gave me any problems yet. I do feed them though once a day when i feed my fish. I put a little shrimp pellet by them and the go right for it. They fight with each other but for the most part leave the fish alone.

That's EXACTLY what I was doing. The star touched its "whiskers" and he jumped on it like it was cool. We spent over an hour catching the last one. We finally got him.