Will I see a cycle??????

aandersen

As some of you know, I moved everything from my 20 to my 55 about 1.5 weeks ago, all my levels have been fine, ph 8.2 everything else is at 0...I would like to add a pair of percs, what are the odds they will start a cycle, and if they do, what are the odds they will make it, I have about 40lbs LS and 15lbs LR, temp is a steady 75....any help would be appreciated, and thanks for all the help so far
:D

aandersen

I had about 25-30lbs LS in the other tank and I added 20lbs, how long would it take for it to start a cycle???

razoreqx

Originally posted by AAndersen
I had about 25-30lbs LS in the other tank and I added 20lbs, how long would it take for it to start a cycle???

If you dont see a spike in 24 hours you might not see one at all.. I would watch the tank for 48 hours checking the water quality each day... If you dont spike then I would slowly start adding life back to the tank.. I would treat this as a newly cycled tank though.. Adding one fish per week.
If you already added the life to the tank.. I would check the water levels morning and night.. 2x per day and do small 1-2 gal water changes daily and one big water change weekly of 10g.. Do this for two weeks.

austinreef

Originally posted by RazorEQX
If you dont see a spike in 24 hours you might not see one at all.. I would watch the tank for 48 hours checking the water quality each day... If you dont spike then I would slowly start adding life back to the tank.. I would treat this as a newly cycled tank though.. Adding one fish per week.
If you already added the life to the tank.. I would check the water levels morning and night.. 2x per day and do small 1-2 gal water changes daily and one big water change weekly of 10g.. Do this for two weeks.

I agree with Razor, I switched a 50 to a 75 and didn't see much of a spike at all. I did have 75lbs of cured LR and 50lbs of LS. Its possible you had a mini spike and didn't catch it..