Will it cycle or not ???

riccobully

I have had my 55 going for about a month and really haven't seen a cycle yet I didn't have LR just LS and some damsels,everything is still doing great..yesterday I went and picked up 75 LBS of LR that has been in a tank for over a year and has some really nice alge on it all purple and a little red..
My question is will the tank cycle?? I was going to get rid of the damsels to a friend and get some other fish but didn't know if the tank would cycle and wipe everything out...
Checked All the levels last night and the PH was down to about 7.8 so I brought it up and the ammonia was around .25 highest it has been since the start of the tank... everything else was 0

reefiness

If you keep the rocks wet during the whole transport, then i would say you can leave the fish in there because the rocks wont have any die off. but if they do dry up a little then you will have a really big ammonia spike.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by riccobully
I have had my 55 going for about a month and really haven't seen a cycle yet I didn't have LR just LS and some damsels,everything is still doing great..yesterday I went and picked up 75 LBS of LR that has been in a tank for over a year and has some really nice alge on it all purple and a little red..
My question is will the tank cycle?? I was going to get rid of the damsels to a friend and get some other fish but didn't know if the tank would cycle and wipe everything out...
Checked All the levels last night and the PH was down to about 7.8 so I brought it up and the ammonia was around .25 highest it has been since the start of the tank... everything else was 0
The ammonia is .25?...Sounds like the begining of a cycle...

and pH needs to come up..

riccobully

Well everything is about the same the ammonia is coming down a little not much though. The rock is in the tank and everything is already growing on the rock..

weberian

It will be finished cycling when your ammonia is zero and your nitrite is zero. You should be testing for nitrite also. You need test kits for nitrite and nitrate.

srfisher17

I agree with both of the above-you seem to still be in the early stage of your cycle. But if you're not testing nitrItes and nitrAtes, as Weberian said--there isn't any to be sure where you are. You should see ammonia, then nitrIte (both dangerous). When these 2 are zero and nitrAtes are showing up--you should be ready to move ahead. The nitrates do not need (IMO) to be zero.

nigerbang

I wish my cycle would finish up...I have went from 2ppm on ammonia down to .25 now...3 weeks and not even the slightest hint of Nitrite..

srfisher17

Originally Posted by NigerBang
I wish my cycle would finish up...I have went from 2ppm on ammonia down to .25 now...3 weeks and not even the slightest hint of Nitrite..

I'd suggest you start your own thread; or we'll all get confused discussing two tanks!