will it hurt

buddy

I STARTED MY TANK ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO AND AT FIRST MY SALINITY WAS 1.023 AND IT ROSE UP TO 1.025 I ADDED MORE WATER AND I CANT ADD ANYMORE BECUASE IM CLOSE TO THE TOP. I HAVE BROWN ALGAE GROWING ALL READY AND DONT WANT TO TAKE OUT TO MUCH WATER,DONT WANT TO DISTURB THE CYCLE. WILL IT HURT FOR MY SALINITY TO BE THIS HIGH?

jacrmill

the reason your salinity rose is probably due to evaporation. the water evaporates but the salt does not. then you have the same amount of salt but less water so you have higher salinity. when you added water was it fresh? 1.025 is still acceptable but i dont think you really want it to go much higher than that.

rob 10737

Let it cycle at that, is it a FO tank? If so when you do your first water change, bring it down. Some say 1.020, 1.018 I keep mine at 1.012-1.011 this keeps the parasites in check.

buddy

I ONLY ADDED FRESH WATER OR DO YOU THINK I SHOULD REMOVE SOMEWATER AND ADD WITH A LOWER SALINITY?

goofieones

If you really want to, you can remove 5 gallons of water from the tank and add 5 gallons of fresh water. Depending on the size of the tank this should bring it down by a couple of points.

thebatcave

I don't reccomend keeping the specific gravity below 1.020. Any further and you'regetting too far away from what the fish's normal conditions are. 1.025 is still acceptable, but if you want to lower it just take a few gallons out and add freshwater. This shouldn't at all dusturb the cycle.

goldfish

I always keep my salinity to 1.022-1.023. I see a lot of you keep it much lower than that to reduce parasites, but how do your fish manage at those levels? Isn't it too low for them to live?

S

stormbind

Goldfish like Trey has said time and time again if you lower your salinity you are slowly damaging your fish's kidneys and although it keeps out the parasites it promotes the mutation of them so they become stronger and harder to kill. So basically this is bad and don't do it.
Storm-

guppie

I would wait until the cycle is over, and do a water change,then you can bring it down, that is at a level that sould not hurt anything while you are cycleing, What are you useing to cycle anyhow? Good Luck