will it work

babyb

i just put a bid on the big auction site for some metal halides
i want to turn my 90 into a reef, will 175 wts of metal halides be enough

babyb

ok the s et up right now is i have 2 pc over the 55 could i keep pc on one side and mh on the other

reefforbrains

I understand what its like to be on a tight budget, but your better off saving and doing it right the first time. Theres always a dual MH set up on the classifieds either here or the big board. One sells and another is posted. They are not rare or hard to track down.
They come and go all the time. Doesnt make sence to skimp on spending the 200 on lights when you have 2500 in coral IMO.
PC and MH look entirley different and your tank would be hooey looking in my opinion. Entirely up to you, The only tanks I controll the lighting on are my own.
I would say to wait and do it right the first time. Build a retro, they are super cheap if on a budget.
Think of it this way, going and grabbing a clam, a new shrimp, and 4 coral next time at the LFS will be more than the entire light. Dont put the cart in front of the horse when building a reef.

babyb

well thats great advice
i also have a 30 but would that over heat the water, its a hanging one and its like $80

reefforbrains

A 175 wont overheat a 30g. will add some heat but wont cook it.
Not a 30 long is it? If a long tank then a single bulb will not reach to the outside edges, but if its a standard or tall tank then a single 175w would be a nice fit.

babyb

ok so i passed up that deal, but i have been looking around, what would be a good wattage for a standered 90gal and i want to keep anything, what would you sugest anything helps

J

jrthomas40

Originally Posted by BabyB
ok so i passed up that deal, but i have been looking around, what would be a good wattage for a standered 90gal and i want to keep anything, what would you sugest anything helps
i have 2x 250watt 14k hqi and 2x95watt vho's on my 90g...but i would say no less than 2x 150watt hqi and some fluorescent

babyb

"48" t5 lighting. catfish brand. 108w, 1 daylight bulb and 1 actinic bulb.
what about thins would that be ok for the 90 and if not what about for the 55

promisetbg

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
not unless you have 3 of them
How do you figure this? A 90 gal is 4 ft', each metal halide gives 2 ft' of coverage.

matt819

You'll want to get good brand t5s...not junk. What you're looking for is individual reflectors, that makes all the difference with t5. Try sunlight supply, icecap, or aquactinics. You'll need at least 4 t5 bulbs over a 90...I'd say the same for a 55. I run 4 over my 55 now, I'm upgrading cause they're cheapos I bought two years ago...there's a reflector per 2 lamps, 2 seperate fixtures. I don't think I can keep any anemones, clams, or anything with what I have now. I could give you a deal on my used fixtures...it would need new bulbs.

babyb

what are you wnting for them, why could you not keep clams anemones and such with them, it doesnt have enough intencity (sp?) or what

bacchus_fl

I would go for 2x250 for your 90 with a couple 48" VHOs. 2 MHwill cover a 48" tank but becuase a 90 is a deep tank you want something a little stronger to reach the bottom.
2x175 will work but you will have to keep low light corals near the bottom and they will still probably reach up.
They are right about retro kits though. You can buy the pieces and put it together yourself very easily. You just need to be using a canopy.
Good Luck!

babyb

i dont have a canopy but my boyfriend is a carpender so im sure he can put a 4 ft box together for me
im really scared to buy the kits and do it my self, i dont even kno what i need what does what and what goes where

farslayer

Not to jump in the middle, but the advice given so far is correct, save for one question. What is it you want to keep in your tank? If you don't want clams, anemones, or SPS corals, there is no reason to buy MH lighting unless you want that really cool shimmering effect on the sand created by the reflection of the surface waves.
T5 and VHO lighting is beautiful, and less expensive than MH. I believe some anemones are fine under this type of lighting, so if you wanted those you would be OK save for you ensuring pristine water conditions.
So, what do you want to keep in your tank?

reefforbrains

Originally Posted by promisetbg
How do you figure this? A 90 gal is 4 ft', each metal halide gives 2 ft' of coverage.
If you like to go with bare min then sure 2 will work. If 250w then 2 would be ok in my book as the outer edges will still have plenty of light coming to them. With a dual 150/175 I just dont think I would classify that as a "get anything you want to system"
Will it work?, sure. Would I say- "go ahead and put that new Mili or clam anywhere you like."?? No.
I agree with Farslayer the comment that if your not looking for Clams or SPS then I wouldnt worry about total top output. Just make adjustments to your lighting purchase as what you plan your tank to be....
Work backwards and only buy lights once without getting stuck having to upgrade in 6 months. Also without having to spend the extra mone on electriciy to power them or bulbs to buy for a system that is completley uneeded.
my .02