will it work

bacchus_fl

They are right, is does depend on what you want to put in your tank but the difference is cost is not that great between 4 48" VHOs and 2x48" VHO with 2x250W MH.
I hate having limitations, I can promise you that over the years you will probably come across something that you want and can't keep or even worse buy something that slowly dies becuase your LFS didn't tell how much light was needed.
The retro kits are really easy, for the MH you need a 2x250 Ballast, 2 reflector bases (mogul or Hqi which is a double ended bulb do a search and you will find allot of info on the pros and cons to these types of bulbs) , you also need 2 bulbs probably 15K and you done with the MH. For the VHO you need an Icecap ballast capable of running 2 48" bulbs (not sure of the model number but it will say on whatever site you purchase from) 2 socket sets, and 2 super atinic bulbs, you might also need to buy a wiring kit. I don't think we can post other sites to purchase from but let me know if you are interested in where to purachse quality retro kits.
It may sound a little confusing if you have never done it but I promise it is really easy to do. The difficult part is building a canopy that allows you good access and looks good. If your man is a carpenter then you should be able to get a great looking canopy. Do another search for canopy designs and you will find allot of great ideas.
Good Luck!
Jason