Will my LR still be alive?

zincoxide

I bought my 90g tank about 2 or 3 months ago now. It was infested with bubble algae when the other guy owned it so I was advised to put the LR in a Rubbermaid container and put the lid on it to stop the light.
I did that. I have a heater maintaining 80 degress. Salt is right. 2 powerheads circulating the water. And the lid on.
It has been like this a lot longer than I anticipated. But, I've now setup my tank. I'm wondering if the live rock will still be live or if it died due to the lack of light? Also, the trates are high. I didn't actually do a water change but I did add a bucket new RODI water every week or two.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by zincoxide
I bought my 90g tank about 2 or 3 months ago now. It was infested with bubble algae when the other guy owned it so I was advised to put the LR in a Rubbermaid container and put the lid on it to stop the light.
I did that. I have a heater maintaining 80 degress. Salt is right. 2 powerheads circulating the water. And the lid on.
It has been like this a lot longer than I anticipated. But, I've now setup my tank. I'm wondering if the live rock will still be live or if it died due to the lack of light? Also, the trates are high. I didn't actually do a water change but I did add a bucket new RODI water every week or two.
LR will be fine. I have had rock sit for months with no light on it, then again it wasn't covered over. But your rock will regrow the algae. If you had anything on it that required light then chances are that it is dead, but everything else will be fine.

zincoxide

I'm not to concerned about the coraline algae - although I do want that to re-grow. I just want to make sure that it will still do its "job".

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by zincoxide
The rock is still living perfectly fine.

mandarin w

I am thinking you might want to give the rocks a good scrubing before you put them in the tank. Nothing major, just take a wirebrush NOT the real hard one, and just do it in the saltwater that it is in. Just go over it to try and get as much of the hair alge off. shake them to shake off any old junk that is on or in the rocks. The rock is good, I am just thinking along the lines
of, the less of that stuff you put in your tank, the less you and your tank is going to have to deal with.

zincoxide

Will do!
Question: Do I have to acclimate the rock to my new tank?? Or can I just plop them in?
Also, can I put the rock in while it is still cloudy or do I have to wait until the water clears up??

thegrog

zincoxide said:
Will do!
Question: Do I have to acclimate the rock to my new tank?? Or can I just plop them in?
QUOTE]
I would not recommend "plopping" them in as you will not only cause a big splash, but will most likely break your tank!

Seriously, Remember to lower the tank water level some as the rocks will displace quite a bit of water and you may get an overflow.

zincoxide

Okay.. ha ha ha.
Seriously, can I add the rock while it is still cloudy?
And, can I just put them in or do I have to acclimate them?
Just so everyone is clear, when I put them in... I'll do it gently.
PS - I will only add one piece at a time to see where the water level is, this way making sure it won't overflow.
PPS - How many/how big should I put in the sump??