will these fish work

elfdoctors

Only for a little while until the tang gets larger. Yellow tangs are usually recommended for tanks of 50 gallons or larger. There are members of the "tang police" on this board who would suggest even larger tanks. I would only use the tang if you were planning on upgrading your tank or selling the tang back within a year.

karajay

I agree... don't put the tang in there. There are lots of other small fish that would do well in a 30g.

tyr-sog

Yeah, thats better. 30 is a bit to small for a yellow tang. Perfect for a Dwarf angel though providing there is alot of live rock.

rapt0r32

Originally posted by elfdoctors
There are members of the "tang police" on this board who would suggest even larger tanks.

Funny stuff... Yet I have seen them in action...

:happy:

drakken

Originally posted by YellowTail
6 lined wrasse,yellow tang, perc in a 30 g reef

I had a 6 line and a false perc in a 28 bowfront. Now they are in a 55 and the 6 line LOVES all the room.

tyr-sog

Originally posted by Velocity
who r the tang police? like what are their names?

Oh, you'll know who they are.:nervous:

lesleybird

Originally posted by elfdoctors
Only for a little while until the tang gets larger. Yellow tangs are usually recommended for tanks of 50 gallons or larger. There are members of the "tang police" on this board who would suggest even larger tanks. I would only use the tang if you were planning on upgrading your tank or selling the tang back within a year.

I think the tang police say at least a 75 or a 100 for a tang.....even a 55 is way too small for them.

buzz

Yes, you will get some strong views on tank size for certain fish such as tangs. But keep in mind why that is. Many of these people have made the mistake of keeping these fish in smaller tanks, and have either seen them die or have upgraded tanks, and seen the difference in the way the fish thrives. Experience will tell you what will and will not work long term.
Personally, I think a yellow tang will be OK in a tank with a 4 foot length. The reason for the length is to allow them room to dart back and forth. Typically, this would be a 50-55g tank minimum. However obviously, a larger tank will afford more swimming room, and thus be better long term.
Keep in mind that my view will differ from others, and some will be more passionate about their convictions than others. Take all opinions into consideration, and make your own choice.