Will these guys get along?

lolly1

Hi everyone!
I am new to saltwater and new to this board (although I have been reading on it for months). My mom has had her reef tank up for almost a year now and I have learned a lot from her. I plan to start cycling my 55 gallon in late March, but I wanted to know what you thought about this combo and what I could have for a clean up crew that won't get eaten:
Valentini puffer
Flame angel
Maroon Clown
Goby or Blenny of some sort.
All opinions and advice are welcome. Thanks in advance for the help!
Beth ***)

puffer9006

thats pretty close to the fish im getting in my 55g right now. they sound like they should be allright. the only fish i see a problem is the puffer but most of the valentini are ok with other fish. imo it hit or miss with them. just hope you get a good one.

tang lover

If you get the puffer you won't able to get any invertabrates. Because puffers are known to eat anything with a hard shell.

lolly1

Originally Posted by Tang Lover
If you get the puffer you won't able to get any invertabrates. Because puffers are known to eat anything with a hard shell.

That's what I thought...but then what do I do for my clean-up crew?? :thinking:

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Lolly1
That's what I thought...but then what do I do for my clean-up crew?? :thinking:
keep the tank clean yourself, unfortunately

lolly1

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
keep the tank clean yourself, unfortunately
Gotcha. Thanks!
What are your thoughts on compatibility with corals?

edwar050

You would be correct on the sea urchins "keep my valentini with four". You can also keep the less aggressive valentini's with snails and hermits though they will pick off one everyonce in a while. They are really hit and miss. I would only introduce a valentini to a couple of corals in a quarantine before throwing them in the main display. I have read to many mixed reviews with valentini's but mine has done well with coral and inverts.

promisetbg

I have a bluespot puffer,and have some huge turbos,diadema urchin,a pair of coral banded shrimp,atlantic spotted cucumbers,and red-legged hermits. No problems. I am also looking at getting some zebra hermits..it is said that they will take their one big claw and place it across the front of their shell if attacked.

evaray3

I have a yellow tail puffer and he doesnt bother any of my snails or my blue leg hermit crabs at all. They have all been in there together for over a year. I guess it just depends on your puffer. :happyfish

edwar050

2nd that, puffers are really like dogs. Some are chows will eat any invertabrate, others like jack russels. Seems to me that even the same species are sometimes very different. Some have valentini devils, my valentini was actually picked on by my yellowtail damsel