Will this algae ever go away without a RODI unit?

I upgraded to a T5 fixture about 2 weeks ago and now I have this algae bloom thats taking over my tank. I also don't use a RODI unit.
Will this algae ever go away??
Thanks,

babyb

dont know how to help but im haveing the same problem, but how my problem started was i let my bulbs get really old then the algae came, then i ot the bright idea to upgrade my lights from pc to mh and now its just bad, i am truly ashamed of how i have let it get

sac10918

How big is your tank? I get RO water from the grocery store to use to make water for my 24 gallon. If you tank isnt huge, you can just purchase the RO water for like $0.40 a gallon which is pretty reasonable if you have a smaller tank...

Its a 72 gal tank
trite 0.0
Trate 5
Alkalinity 300
0 ammonia
PH 8.8
Any ideas??
And Yes I do have hair algae, green algae, coraline algae, and Diatom.
Thanks,

renogaw

what are your phosphates?
how much flow do you have?
how long are you running your lights?
do you have a fuge?

hunted

That looks like cyno (red slime algae) How old is your tank?
How often do you do water changes?. I got cyno at the end of all my cycles when the nitrates are high.
You can get rid of this by sucking it out with a 1/2" line reduced to a 1/4 to slow down the flow, you will lose some sand but thats ok, and you will also be doing your water change the same time. You can also use chemi-clean to treat it it works fine, but it will come back eventually if you don't fix the base cause. Hope this helps.

My tank is about 3 months old (I upgraded my lights 2-3weeks ago) I run my actinics 10 hours and run my 10k's 9 hours a day. As far as water flow I have a Maxijet 600 and a power head 201 along with the return pump. I do water changes every 3 weeks. I'm not sure what my phosphate levels are because they dont test for that at my LFS. I have a sump and not a fuge. I started to feed every other day instead of everyday.
My BTA has looked like the third picture I have posted for a while. Could the algae be causing it to close up? Also, Do I need to get a RODI unit to control this algae?
Thanks everyone,

m0nk

Originally Posted by Smellslikefish
My tank is about 3 months old (I upgraded my lights 2-3weeks ago) I run my actinics 10 hours and run my 10k's 9 hours a day. As far as water flow I have a Maxijet 600 and a power head 201 along with the return pump. I do water changes every 3 weeks. I'm not sure what my phosphate levels are because they dont test for that at my LFS. I have a sump and not a fuge. I started to feed every other day instead of everyday.
My BTA has looked like the third picture I have posted for a while. Could the algae be causing it to close up? Also, Do I need to get a RODI unit to control this algae?
Thanks everyone,
Here's a couple things that will likely help:
1. What is your current water source? If it is currently tap water, either get water from your LFS or Walmart or get an RO/DI unit. If you currently get water from your LFS or Walmart, get an RO/DI unit. But, be sure to test your water source for phosphates prior to mixing the salt, then after mixing the salt and prior to putting it in the tank. This will show you where you might be getting "fuel" for the algae.
2. Cut your lighting back a bit and see if it helps slow/stop the algae growth. Do 7 hours with the actinics and 5-6 with the 10k.
3. What size tank? You need to measure your flow by adding any return pump turnover (as long as you have directed nozzles attached to that) and powerhead turnover, then divide by the volume of your tank. For example, if you have 2 powerheads rated at 200gph each, plus a 300gph return, that would be 700 total gph of directed flow. Divide that by the size of your tank. If you have a 55g tank then you have a total flow rate of 12x. That example would be somewhat low, depending on what you keep. You should probably try to either redirect your flow or increase it to be around 20x or more to help with the algae problems.
4. Do you have any sunlight hitting your tank? If so, stop it.
Hope that helps.

fireshrimp

i had the same thing happen to me when i added 8 54 watt T5 bubls to my tank.
I was in an apartment and they wouldnt let me install a ro di unit so i had to put my old lights back on =*(
Tank was too big to haul that much water up 2 flights of stairs

m0nk

Originally Posted by FireShrimp
i had the same thing happen to me when i added 8 54 watt T5 bubls to my tank.
I was in an apartment and they wouldnt let me install a ro di unit so i had to put my old lights back on =*(
Tank was too big to haul that much water up 2 flights of stairs
Just changing to an RO/DI unit wouldn't have fixed that. In fact, you could do it without having change water sources, if you work at it. It just takes a little time to figure out what specifically works to keep it gone. Even if it means keeping your lighting down to only 7 hours a day...

hunted

I agree with monk changing to ro won't fix it, will help but not fix it. It sounds like your problebly going through the end of your cycle which means your nitrites are high, I would up your water changes to once a week and after you suck out the cyno in the evening just before the lights go out and than keep the lights off for the rest of the following day. and keep feeding every other day, but just drop little amounts in at a time and make sure it gets eaten up than another bit.
As well you could put a power head down low to keep movement going over your sand bed. Water flow is probebly the most important thing for your tank.