Will this be enough light for Zoos??

zman

i just bought a coralife aqualight 2x65 watt pc setup, i would have gotten MH but i don't have that much bling right now. Was just wondering if that 130 watts would be enough for some zoos if i place them a little higher in the tank about halfway up or more.
Zman

stapler

For zoo's....that is plenty. They really dont require much lighting at all, as well as mushrooms.
Later on if you want to add other corals, you might need to invest in some stronger lighting.
But to answer your question...yes its enough.:yes:

zman

alright cool!!! right now i have a couple hair mushrooms and some rics under some very low lighting.......my new setup hasn't come in yet.......should be here tomorrow
Zman

beachbumtx

HIya!,
If it is for the 29 gallon tank, then yes. It will give you 4.5 watts per gallon. Should be fine for most soft corals. Put the ones that require higher intensity towards the top of the aquarium.

zman

ok thanks beach bum, now i just gotta find an LFS with some sweet looking zoos or someone on here that would sell a small colony...........Thanks for the help guys!!!
Zman

neowind

Yea you would be good for some softies if it was on your 29 gallon and zoo's no problem as BeachBum said. I love zoo's and there are so many combinations out there good luck. :jumping:

beachbumtx

HIya!,
I run about 5 watts per gallon on my 55gal. I have zoos mainly in the upper half of the tank, but thats just because its where I wanted them. My lowest colony is actually under a ledge. They seem to be doing well there, but the reason I placed them there is to get them to grow out onto a certain piece of rock that is on the edge of light and shadow. I think where they are at they get plenty of reflecting light from the glass and off the substrate.
In your tank, if you want them low, then place them there. If they don't open up after week or so, relocate them higher into the water colum. If there stalks become elongated, then they are reaching for the light. They may not be getting enough. Again, relocate them high in the water colum.
One thing to keep in mind with elongating stalks is competition. They elongate their stalks if they are in a tightly packed group or competing for space with other corals...like star polyps or whatever is near by.