Will this fish combination work?

howardcu

I have a large system consisting of 3 75 gallon and one 80 gallon tanks all piped together sharing the same water. The 80 is going to be a reef, one of the 75's a refuge, and another a gentle fish and jawfish tank. The last 75 I would like to make an aggressive fish tank. I was thinking a goldentail moray, a huma huma trigger, a miniatus grouper, and a porcupine puffer. Does anyone think this will or will not work? My main concern is the porcupine puffer and their fin nipping habits. I have not had any of these fish and the most aggressive fish I keep now are 2 longnose hawkfish, 2 sunrise dottybacks, and a marine betta that are in a 55 with some clowns and grammas. Amazingly the two longnose hawks get along wonderfully. I added them at the same time and I think got luckey and have a male and a female. Anyway any hints on the puffer, grouper, eel, trigger combo would be great. Oh and I have a huge overkill skimmer and will soon have a UV sterilizer running on the 300+ gallon system.

howardcu

After reading several more posts on here about triggers it seems that it would most likely be the problem. So I am now thinking the porcupine puffer, the miniatus grouper, and the goldentail morray in a 75 with about 75 lbs of live rock and 60lbs of live sand and a couple hundred gallons of water in the rest of the system to dilute their waste.

ophiura

I would just comment on your idea here....
Reef tanks need quite pristine water conditions, which is a reason many predators are not put in there even though they are not a threat to corals. Nitrates tend to be more of an issue. With all the plumbed together, I think you could end up with water quality issues for the corals, IMO. You'll need to keep well ahead on water changes - your additional volume will not dilute it that much (I've worked with very large multi thousand gallon fish only systems and there is definitely a nitrate issue there regardless of volume).
With all the LR and stuff you may be OK, but this would be my primary concern from the outset.

lion_crazz

Taking out the trigger, I think you would be okay in your situation.
As to what ophiura said, I am actually going to disagree slightly because it really seems like you have thought this out, and you have many things working in your favor. Not only are you going to have a plethora of live rock, but you are running one of the 75's as a fuge? That's sweet! I think this should work pretty nicely, just as long as you do not slack on the water changes like he said (but that is any tank, reef or no reef, if you ask me).
Good luck!! I like to see new tanks where they are thought out and planned well. Post pics when you get it set-up.

swman

Groupers, eels and puffers will generate alot of waste. If you keep your setup the same chances are your reef tank may have issues.:eek:

howardcu

I have the 75 fuge that has about 100 lbs of rubble and then another 60lbs of sand as well as 120lbs of rock in the 80 reef, and another 75 to 100 lbs of rock in the two other 75's. All have a few inches of substrate and the reef and the eel/grouper/puffer tank will be the two tanks with the most organisms. The other stocked 75 I was planning on just having a few jawfish and dart gobies and some cleaner shrimp. I may have to cut out the grouper or eel if waste is an issue and I will have another tank setup soon. The puffer has to stay since that is what my fiance really wants.

howardcu

Oh I am also planning on having caulerpa without predators in the fuge and the jawfish tank that I will use as another form of nutrient export. I have a 55 that is stocked too well with smaller fish and I haven't been able to get corals to grow very well in that tank due to the fish load. I was thinking by having so much water and so much rock in between the waste producers and the reef it would be alright...we shall see. I also beleive my problems wouldn't come for a few years since I will be starting out with a small eel, puffer, and grouper.

howardcu

It will be a while before I really know if it has worked or not. The system has been up and cycling for about 6 months now with a few corals added and that is about it. Too many bills with a new house and a wedding coming up. But, it is better to build slowly anyway :).

swman

I understand by the way congrats on your wedding. Just remember this if you do go with some fishes that will produce alot of waste all you have to do is do a frequent water changes.

ophiura

If you have a lot of export, it may work...my only point is that reef tanks tend to need a bit better than "may work." If something crashes (caulerpa goes asexual or something), you could be in for some trouble. It they were all basically smaller fish, it might not be such an issue...but big predators? More of an issue, IMO. May certainly work, but I would feel more comfortable with the predator tank (or alternatively the reef tank) plumbed on its own. That's JMO :)

howardcu

Are puffers as bad as the other big predators as far as nitrate levels go? Also is there anything other than big predators that would be ok to have in the same tank as a porcupine puffer? The reef portion of the setup is my main priority, and if adding the puffer or predator will put that at a high risk than I think I will shy away. Plus the goldentail moray that I was considering is sold out at this site now anyway. It is the future wife that really wants the porcupine puffer, but I don't really want to waste a whole tank on it alone and risk the rest of the system as a result. I may have to give in and let her get another cat in order to save my corals ;).

swman

Most fish will go good with porcupine puffer. Puffers may munch on corals, assuming your placing it in your fish only tank.

howardcu

Yeah, I have a 240 gallon acryllic that I acquired used that I think I will make my fish only with live rock tank. I will probably have a 100 gallon or so sump with rubble and a skimmer and possible UV sterilizer. It is actually a wierd 240, it is 4' x 4' x 2' tall and has an overflow in the center. The over flow also has areas designed to place pumps so that there are no powerheads in the display area. This way I can also get a trigger and maybe an angel as well and the fish will be happier with a larger tank that they can do laps in and never have to turn around.

swman

Sounds like a neat tank you got there. I saw a tank like that at my LFS they used it for a reef tank though. Let us know how your fishes do in your new tank if you can send us some pic's of it. With a tank that deep for sure get a UV system it will help with the algae and much more.