Will this halide pendant work for clams??

Im gettin a new tidepool type tank.. 10 inches high, 2 feet by 2 feet...
here is a description of the lighting system I wanted (off the website)
Is 175 Watts and 5500K enough??
Great, easy solution for lighting ponds, tropical, marine, reef and invertebrate aquarium tanks.
* Simple lighting solution. Use with German 10000K, Euro 14000K and Euro 20000K to eliminate the use of fluorescent actinic tubes
* Concentrated Spot Light System (not diffused) - use to highlight a specific area.
* Enclosed ventilated aluminum bell shaped reflector
* UV stabilized absorbing lens (400w no lens)
* Enclosed remote ventilated ballast with on/oft switch and 20’ lamp cord
* Easy to adjust height
* Available in: Matte Black (rough finish), Glossy Black (smooth & slightly glossed) and Glossy White finish
* Available: 175w, 250w, and 400w
Thnaks!:happyfish

russianspy

Originally posted by The Croc Hunter
Is 175 Watts and 5500K enough??

:nope:
I don't keep clams but i'm gunna try with my new lighting once I get anotherone. I can't tell how many gallons that is but 175 watts isn't enough for any clam, and you should have 10000K to cover the spectrum for the clams zoozenthallia. I'd go with the 400 Watss at 10000K
Help?

nas19320

I kept a Derasa clam on the bottom of a 55 under dual 175w's no problem. You may be pushing it though if you try some of the more light demanding clams such as Croceas, if you plan on doing a lot of SPS corals then I would strongly consider the 250w's.

tkblazer

i'd run a higher spectrum bulb... that wattage is fine. go for at least a 10k bulb, since anything lower then 6500 will promote algae growth and you don't want that.

msd2

For that shape/size tank I would say a 175 should be fine. The bigger the halide the more heat and in a 27gal tank its gonna heat up even with a 175. There is no reason why you cant run a 6500 bulb on the tank, its a bit yellow but I had good growth with that spectrum bulb. Don't forget sunlight is actually 5500k in spectrum. I have run 5500k, 6500k, and currently 10k. All worked well, just more yellow and you will want to suppliment with actinics, if you like things in the blueish spectrum.

W

wrassefan

Originally posted by TKBLAZER
i'd run a higher spectrum bulb... that wattage is fine. go for at least a 10k bulb, since anything lower then 6500 will promote algae growth and you don't want that.

I agree with TKBLAZER. 5500k spectrum will promote algae growth. I wouldn't use less than 6500k(alittle yellow thou). 10k seem to promote good growth and appealing to the eye thou some say too white and you need some blue (vho supplement).

badkharma

175 should be fine with most SPS and clam in that size of tank. Like others said, I would change the spectrum and get either 14K bulbs or 10K with some sort of actinic supplement. Anything under 10K looks really brown/yellow without any actinic supplement. When you're keeping things so colorful as clams, you definitely want some actinic to bring out the color.

badkharma

Originally posted by RussianSpy
:nope:
I don't keep clams but i'm gunna try with my new lighting once I get anotherone. I can't tell how many gallons that is but 175 watts isn't enough for any clam, and you should have 10000K to cover the spectrum for the clams zoozenthallia. I'd go with the 400 Watss at 10000K
Help?

175 is fine for that tank for almost anything. You can calculate the gallons of a tank by multiplying the dimensions of the tank (must be inches) together and dividing that final product by 231. (eg. 24"x24"x10" = 5760, then / 231 = ~25 gallons - 24.935)
400 watts on that tank size would cook the tank.