will this light be a good buy?

E

eric b 125

i posted this in the lighting/equipment forum, but there hasnt been any response's, i hate double posting, but i need info by tomorrow so i can go buy it (the G-20 is coming on thurs so i'm NOT leaving since i live 2 miles from town and i'd have to battle protesters on my way to where the light is).
its a used 72" current t5 ho fixture. 6X96 (576 total). the dude wants $350, but i'm going to try to get him down to $250-$300 since i'll have to replace all the bulbs. its for a 125. i'd like to have MH, but i dont have the cheddar for a good fixture and chiller, and the house i rent doesnt have central air, so summer would suck with MH. i would just like a light that would get me started with coral to add some color to my tank. i still have to drill my tank, build a sump, get the pumps, CLS, etc., so if this light would hold me over for a while as i get the setup where i want it (equipment wise) that would be great. a buddy of mine said it is a good buy, and a decent enough light that i'll be able to keep a good bit under it. thanks for any opinions.

Are you sure its T5, compactcs come in a 96W version not T5, T5 is 20,24,39,54 for a 72"unit from CUrrent its 12 x 39watt since they are 36" for 468 watts 6 10K / 6 460nM is the factory standard Model 1082, if thats what it is for 350 thats not bad sincee its individual reflectors. Im thinking that the guy doesnt know compact from T5 or is hoping you dont

E

eric b 125

i'm going to go check it out tomorrow. all i know about them is what i posted. i was told 6 X 96 (4 daylight, 2 actinic). i'm guessing it's compact flourecent. does that change anything? like i said, my goal is MH, it's just not an option right now.

E

eric b 125

i dont really know lighting all that well... i've done some research, but all i've ever had was standard aquarium lighting.

the compacts are ok lights, the PAR value isnt as good as the T5 or MH but it will work, still has a little heat to it, not like a MH, if the gguy is wrong about the lamps and its T5 it a great deal and aside from the shimmer affect of MH it will let you keep alot, Im betting it is the compact, and if its used yuo probably should invest in bulbs soon, since compacts are useful life is ( depending on your light cycle) 6 to 8 months on average. So factor lamp new bulbs in to you costs. 96 watt CF lamps are around $30 to $35 buck on many online stores, usually a few more in the LFS, so add another $200 buck to that light, now youre getting close to new T5 and 1/2 the cost of current MH 72".

E

eric b 125

so i'd probably be better off going with at least T5, eh? even if the watts/gal isnt as high? i like T5 because of all the different spectrums that i can get. i know they get pretty warm, but not nearly as hot as MH. like i said, i know very little about lighting- i was never ready to upgrade my lights since i had other things i wanted to get done in the tank, so i never really gave it a thought, but now that i'm in a position to get started i've been giving it more thought. i read on an independent site that PC are an old technology but there is still a lot you can put under them. how big of a step back from T5's are these? my lights are super ghetto right now, and i'd really like to have some corals, but if PC are garbage, then i'll get some T5's, but if they'll work then i might as well get them until i'm in a position to get halides. i just hate to spend a bunch on T5's only to upgrade to MH in a year.

ninjamini

Look at the fish supply web sites until you find the light you are talking about. Then figure 30-50% of the retail price and adjust for old bulbs.