Will this plate coral survive?

mattk

I've had this long tentacled plate coral for about two weeks. Its on the bottom off to one side.It was doing very well until about 3 days ago. Noticed a tear at the edge and it is getting worse. Small amount of browning in the area. About 75% of tentacles still extending well. Any chance this will make it. Suggestions on treatments-an Iodide dip maybe? Any chance of removing the affected area and allowing the plate to heal. Colt coral placed at same time is doing very well.
Water in 30gal long
80C
0 NO2
0.25 NH3
10ppm NO3
ALk 4.1
Ca++ 350
PO4 0-0.03
1 175wMH 6500K
2x30w 36" T12 03 actinics
DTs every 3rd day
Kalk and Liquid Ca dosing daily
Thanks for any advice Matt

spsfreak100

Your NH3 (or ammonia) is most likely the cause of this. From my experience, once you see a tear in the tissue, it's almost impposible to revive it. It should slowely waste away.
Your Alkalinity and Calcium levels are also extremely low, which could also play a factor in the plate coral.
Now, Your ammonia is a completely different issue. How old is the tank? How many fish do you have in the tank, and what size are they? Did you add a large biological load at one time?
From your water conditions, it looks like your tank is "re cycling." You should see the ammonia raise until around .50ppm, then it should drop while your Nitrite raises, then your nitrite should drop and you should see an increase in Nitrate.
The more information you provide the better. Your fish may be in danger in the long run.
Graham

mattk

the tank is almost 4 months old with 2 small damsels that have been there from the start. The NH3 reading is now always 0.25 never 0. It did spike back in the beginning. I have tested freshly prepared water made with reef crystals and get the same reading. The 35lbs of LR in the tank cycled weeks before before I added the corals.
From what I have read an Alk reading of 4.1 meq is pretty good. I am trying to raise the Ca++ slowly using liquid Ca supplement. I forgot to mention the pH is 8.1-8.3. I agree the plate is probably a goner but I hate to pull it in case it recovers but then I don't want to do any harm to the colt which appears OK by leaving it in place.

nm reef

Just curious...what brand test are you using for your ammonia? Some tests seem to give a .25 reading on an ammonia free system. I'd guess you are using some type of "master test kit"...maybe not...but sounds like it. I'd suggest Salifert tests...much more reliable/accurate.
As for the plate coral...whenever they show signs of tissue recession its not good...and they seldom can be saved. A iodine dip may help...or it may make matters worse. I'd suggest locating it away from any direct current and give it a little time. It's possible for them to recover...but its not likely.

nmreef@cox.net

mattk

Yes it is a master test kit. I did get the sailfert kits for Ca/Alk and P04. The master kit did react to the rise of Amm during the cycle so I basically set .25 to 0 and substract that value from any readng above it.W I am almost fnished with this kit and then I'll buy the sailfert kits.:cool: