Will this suffice as a stand for a 29 gallon BioCube?

meglovin

Paying $130 for a stand is something I really don't want to do unless I have to. We have an end-table at home where the frame and legs are made of steel, and the top is glass. After measuring, the dimensions of the end-table are about 2-3 inches longer on all sides than the BioCube.
I was planning on picking up a good piece of laminated wood, cutting it to size, and placing it on the table (not sure if I'll keep the glass.) Will this be strong enough to hold the tank since the tank won't be sitting directly corner to corner?

gemmy

I would not keep the glass if you decided to do it. Can you post a pic of the stand?

snakeblitz33

Even steel corrodes over time. You may find water on the floor in the middle of the night.
If i were you, i'd put $40 in a cheap diy wood stand with galvanized screws so it will hold up for a very long time.

meglovin

Would wood hold up better than the steel, then? I had assumed the opposite. I'm just nervous about "building" my own stand because I wouldn't be sure how to properly design it to hold the weight of my tank. Is it a fairly simple process, or are there any important things I could do to ensure the wood will hold 300+ pounds?

snakeblitz33

Two boxes, four outside legs, four inside legs, two cross braces and two plywood tops - probably make it for about $40. Definitely worth the time. You would be amazed how much weight eight 2x4's can hold up.