will this work for a reef tank

victor52

hi i'm realy not new at reef tanks but i want to set up a nano and sure if this tank will work or not. someone please help!
(this is a product from wal-mart so i just copied the thing under the product)

Features & Specifications
The Eclipse System 6 Aquarium Kit is a fascinating showpiece for the home, classroom, office or anywhere. Each kit includes an acrylic aquarium with 360 degrees of gently curved, panoramic viewing area. The fluorescent lighting generates color-enhancing light without creating heat like inferior incandescent bulbs.
Eclipse System 6 Aquarium Kit Features:
Acrylic aquarium with 360 degrees of gently curved, panoramic viewing area
Fluorescent lighting generates color-enhancing light without heat
Easily accommodates accessories such as a heater and airline tubing
No hoses, no cumbersome filter boxes, no noisy air pumps
Because all filtration media is inside the top-mounted frame, rear space requirements are minimal
Hinged hood panel opens effortlessly for easy feeding and maintenance
Includes a convenient On/Off switch
and another good queston live sand or crushed coral
please explain why!

xdave

Before these came out the distributor I worked for got 3 in to test. We put LR/LS in it and 3 small blue damsels for the first run. We used cycled Biochem beads from our system and Chemipure in the filter, we did attempt to cycle it. We found that for this livestock the filter was inadequate. The only sw setup we found practical was LR/LS and one very small fish and a crustacean with weekly 20% water changes. A firefish and an Arrowcrab did ok and looked good. The other salt problem was you could only have the one litte light. You'll probably have to purchase your bulb online because lfs generally dont carry that highend of a light in that little of a size.
So to sum up
You need the folowing:
*Good biochem material that is small like Biochem beads, with big ceramic noodles and stuff like that you wont be able to get a good amount in there.
*Very highend bulb
*LR/LS (cured LR)
*Live sand instead of crushed coral because it will help offset the small filter size.
You could have:
*A small Gobie or Blenny
*A little crab or something
*CAUTION NO SNAILS! They head straigt for the filter
*Very litte salt bleeding (that surprised us)
These are very nice setups. For fresh water we found them to be quiet, attractive, and convenient. The filter is very good, but a bare minimum for salt.

victor52

if it was posible to keep a fish in a small tank like this could i keep a Shrimpgoby - Yellow Watchman if so what kind of srimp would be best suted for him

bonebrake

Those tanks are not good for a nano reef, go for an Oceanic BioCube, Aquapod, or a JBJ Nano Cube, if you're looking for an all-in-one tank.
:joy:

bonebrake

You'll end up spending more money and DIY time getting an Eclipse to work well than you will if you buy one of the other all-in-one systems and do modifications to them.

victor52

i got my nano cube this mornig but what type of substrate/ live rock (how much) and what type of animals could i keep in a 6 gallons
i got it for $56

bonebrake

Get about 5-10 lbs. of live sand and maybe 10 lbs. of live rock rubble. There are not many fish you will be able to keep in that system, however, you could keep several sexy shrimp or a mantis shrimp tank. You could also keep some zoanthids and other corals that do not grow too fast.

victor52

wow thats a nice tank
i have a list of coral and stuff i like to get can someone
like pick at the stuff i can keep and can't
(i like to get)
8lb of live rock
5 pounds of live sand
Corals:
sun coral 1
red mushroom 1
blue mushrom 1
asst. zoos. 1
(can i keep all these corals in a six gallen aquarium together)
invertabrates:
hiwian feather dusters 1
blue legged hermit crabs 3
yellow cucumber 1
Fish:
yellow watch man goby
i 'm not sure if the fish is pushing it or am i just really really overstocked.
may someone tell me if this is to much and if this is possible
someone please reply fast

bonebrake

You could keep all of that as long as you did religious water changes every week. The sun coral is difficult, make sure you read up on it extensively first before attempting and give your system some time to stablize before adding it. All of the rest will be great!
Good luck!

bonebrake

P.S. - If you are getting a JBJ 6 gallon or got one, make sure you swap out the stock pump for a Maxijet 400 or something, the JBJ stock pumps are junk.

laddy

you can turn a standard 10g AGA into a nano.......spend $10 on a glass tank from *****, $20 on a AC 150, $20 on LS, and $40 on LR, and some NO lights....an Ocellaris and shrimp and you have a tank!

victor52

i like the sun as far as looks but don't think i'm ready for the responsibility any realy good looking coral thats not so difficult