Will this work?

joeyg2100

I am looking to build an intank refuge that will hang on the back of my 29 gallon reef tank that I haven't put up yet. The main reason I want to do this is so I can have a Green Mandarin Dragonet about a year after I have the tank up. I want to keep enough pods in here to feed him. Here is the design I would like to build

I will have five 1/4" holes on each end of the refuge. On one end I will have a power head to get flow through the refuge. I was thinking of puting a piece of glass in the middle to disrupt the flow a little and get water flowing through the whole refuge. Should I do this or keep that piece out? I am going to build it so it is 12" long x 4" wide x 6" tall. I will also put some moss or plants along with LR and sand in here to help keep the pods safe from just getting swept out by the current. Will this work to help keep my mandarin fed?

scsinet

That comes out to about 1.25 gallons for your fuge.
You'll be hard pressed to breed enough pods in here to keep a mandarin happy. These fish can eat hundreds of pods a day.
Most people tell you that you need a very large tank and/or a very large fuge to do this.

mrmaroon

Get a 75g and jam it full of LR if you want to keep one of those! Probably won't work with a tank that small. But they are beautiful fish.