Will Uncured LR always smell bad???

aandersen

I am asking because I have bought uncured LR in the past and it smells like rotten eggs, I bought some last night and the LFS said it was uncured but it smells fine...will it start smelling later or is there a chance it could be cured

cprdnick

If it doesn't have some sort of rotten smell then you got bent over. Don't trust what your LFS tells you half the time, it'll cost you money.

T

thomas712

AA - if it smells then that means there is die off on it. This can cause ammonia spikes, and if you have fish and inverts in the tank then you will want to re cure the rock seperate from your main tank.
This could involve water changes while it re cures itself, until the bad smell goes away. Use a protien skimmer if you can on the cure tank, tub, bucket,... whatever you use. Keep it heated and use a powerhead.
When your done it should only smell like fresh sea water.
Thomas

T

thomas712

Sounds like it might be.
If he started with base rock then it may not carry that smell. If he had it shipped in as uncured liverock then it will carry that smell.
Any idea how your LFS got it?
What condition is it in now, do you see any coralline on it, any other algaes or plant life remaining?
Thomas

aandersen

I know they just got a huge shipment last week, and some of the pieces smelled and the ones I picked did not, there is some coralline growth and a couple featherdusters on a couple of the pieces

donmgicwon

Put it in a container for a few days (4 min.) as mentioned above and smell it again if it still does NOT smell then you are probably OK. How much did you get? I say this because it can take a couple days or so for the dead orgs. to start decaying, which is what causes the smell. Just because it doesn't smell right now does not mean there was no die off, Better safe than sorry. Let us know what it smells like in a few days.