wilting Zoas

I have a few Zoa frags and most seem to be doing well. Some have about half open but most are open and beautiful. I have one frag however that refuses to open. I tried dipping it and everything(it my eagle eye
) The tips of each polp look black? Is it a gonner or can i try something else....

don lino

Did u dip in iodine?? How is the flow where the polyps are positioned?? Try rubbing them and getting that black stuff off... It may be algea thats keeping them from opening. Let me know if you can rub the algea off of them. G/L

I JUST TRIED AND THEY LITERALLY JUST FELL APART...

I HATE THAT! My tank is going to crap...im finding hermit crab limbs everywhere. My bar goby is digging all over the sand. I have green algae everywhere. My sand bed is purple and green in places. Im ready to

spunky

i think your trates might be too high. I am going through the same thing right now and the only parameter that is off is my nitrates they are in the 15-20 range just did a 25% water change and added an algone packet. hope that helps.

don lino

So sorry to hear that... Just keep up with the water changes at least every two days till they go down. Also, how long are your lights on for??

spunky

Originally Posted by Don Lino
http:///forum/post/2623462
So sorry to hear that... Just keep up with the water changes at least every two days till they go down. Also, how long are your lights on for??
I dont know if this was directed to me but my lights are on 10 hrs total
acts on at noon days on at 1pm days off at 9pm and acts off at 10pm
i was thinking about cuttin it down to 8 total but i wasnt sure if that would be ok for the corals.
here is a vid of my tank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xVNGZQgMTw

jaymz

Molts are when crabs shed there "skin" so to speak they do this as they grow. that is most likely where the crab limbs are coming from.
As far as the purple and green algea on sand bed and such, Yes getting the nitrates down is very important but what really cleared it up for me was finally getting good flow in the tank. Putting a power head or 2 down low so it is pushing water 3" or so above the sand bed really helps.
Use a mesh style cat litter or reptile litter scoop to remove the existing cyanobacteria "algea" off the sand bed then get some flow down there.
This and lowering the nitrates show improve your tanks health greatly.

jaymz

Yeah thats something you would have to deal with. I only have one ph pushing water low. It goes right across the front glass and I dont have anything there. Just the one makes a current that goes all the way around the tank. If you could get your rics on the opposite end from the ph then I think they may be ok.

Be careful with rics in the sand. I had a convo with Flcordia about that and he said rics can catch infections from sand critters and "melt." No one wats a melting ric. Also having them on rocks allows flow underneath if they so choose. Just passing the good word, and thanks for the tips ill be moving a PH first thing tom.