Wind and Rain

2quills

The tank is flying solo now. I have a generator supposedly coming tommorow if delivery vehicles make it. If my fish can make it till then I'll be happy.

Have eggs and bacon on the grill and will be watching the seaon finale of Game of Thrones tonight on the direct tv app so we are blessed and trying to make the best of it.

Others unfortunately were not so lucky. Houston, is not looking good now either.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Folks in Houston are suffering greatly and the rains are not wanting to move on any time soon. I had a FO tank during Hurricane Georges and the power was out near a week. I only had several battery airstones at the time. All fish made it however! I even floated ice in ziplocks to keep the tank cool as the house would get 90 during the hottest part of day. After that, got the gen. Ironically, the gen was destroyed in the Wilma flood which you saw the flood pic above.

2quills

I have a couple of battery operates pumps from bait buckets but heaven forbid trying to find any C or D sized batteries in this town prior to the storm. So the tankwent 3 days with nothing.

Picked up a generator Monday morning so I have just the return pump and refugium lights going with a window unit (a/c) in the living room. So far no fish losses. Will have to wait and see about some of the corals. Going on the 7th day without power now.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Wow what is going on in Houston is amazingly horrifying. May want to give the corals some lighting a few hrs a day. You didn't plug in the fridge?

2quills

Yeah, I have one of our refrigerators going and was able to keep the fish food cold with bags of ice in the freezer for the first few days so it didn't spoil.

Went ahead and plugged my A.I. fixtures back in. Think I'll alternate the tank and refugium lights by night and day for now.

Have another generator coming tommorow that my dad ordered for us just before the storm. But cities are running out of gas. San Antonio is entirely without gas right now and many of our stations are running out. Gas prices are fixing to spike. Had to wait almost 30 minutes in line this afternoon to fuel up.

lmforbis

They are even spiking in the north in Minnesota where I am. Glad you are safe and your house is still standing.

2quills

Well the power came back on Thursday night. Live stock looked all ok. A few things didn't look too happy but should bounce back.

Bad news is my skimmer pump isn't working after the storm and my tank decided to start leaking last night. So I was up until 1:30 a.m. draining it and now I have everything in totes, cans and buckets. :(

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Barometric pressure from the storm? :eek: When it rains, it pours....literally.

2quills

I know right? I'm so bummed. I'm just looking into just up grading at this point. With the equipment that I have I could step up to a 180g and keep my stand but lose the canopy. My other option is to go with a 240g and start all over.

Beth, keep your eyes peeled. Irma, looks like she's heading towards Florida.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm heading down "toward" So. Fla now to pick up my son. He's in the Keys and needs to evac. He has a junker car that won't make it too far I fear. Wish us luck! 12 drive ahead with immediate turnaround. Fla is crazy right now with no gas and evacs going on.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, got my son out of keys just hours before the mass exodus of people evacing So. Fla. He had a junk car and we started to drive down just in case his car stopped and he needed to be picked up. The tires on his old junker literally breathed their last the moment he drove on to my property in N. Fla. Wow! No car rentals or airfares available by noon Tues. in Key West. Now the storm looks like it's heading my way in N. Fla.

Wish us luck people!

2quills

Temporary housing after the storm/leak.

Had to dust off one on the old 55g tanks I had in the garage. Feels so small. :(

Hope my tang and trigger will be ok for a while.

20170912_122204_resized.jpg

2quills

After the last couple of weeks these fish have had I'm surprised any of them are still alive, let alone all of them.

Beth, glad to see you're still swimming around as well.