windex or glass cleaner? bad idea?

Originally Posted by mbnum2
I have heard that this is bad for your tank and can be very harmful. I have never cleaned the glass with any cleaner before I just was wondering if this was true or not?

some people might disagree with me but ive used windex but i didnt spray it diretly on the glass o sprayed it on a paper towel. Or i use a vinegar and water solution. the reson that i dont use straight water is that it leves streaks.

-jake

rudedog40

Paranoia will destroy ya!!! I read some interesting topics here, but they get more comical as I go along. A long thread on how to clean the glass? I know these can be somewhat of a sensative environment, but come on! Why don't you just move your tank into a clean room, and wear one of those biological suits everytime you get near it? You worry about getting ammonia in your tank if you spray it with Windex? The trace ammounts of ammonia in that cleaner would have minimal affects on something that has 55 - 200 gallons of water it in. Does everyone have one of those air purifiers in their homes? Imagine what kind of junk is floating in the air and falling into your tank as we speak. Oh yeah, and don't even think about putting your bare hand in the water. God knows what diseases you have on it that can infect your fish and inverts.

scotts

Originally Posted by earlybird
I use a sock
and some water. Sometimes I'll use vinegar and water.
Something about this cracks me up.
BTW I am a RO water, squeegie man myself.

pbienkiewi

I use water on the glass and Murphy's oil soap on the wood. The soap helps so the wood does not dry out and crack. Rub it in and your good to go.

jonthefishguy

Originally Posted by rudedog40
Paranoia will destroy ya!!! I read some interesting topics here, but they get more comical as I go along. A long thread on how to clean the glass? I know these can be somewhat of a sensative environment, but come on! Why don't you just move your tank into a clean room, and wear one of those biological suits everytime you get near it? You worry about getting ammonia in your tank if you spray it with Windex? The trace ammounts of ammonia in that cleaner would have minimal affects on something that has 55 - 200 gallons of water it in. Does everyone have one of those air purifiers in their homes? Imagine what kind of junk is floating in the air and falling into your tank as we speak. Oh yeah, and don't even think about putting your bare hand in the water. God knows what diseases you have on it that can infect your fish and inverts.
Why dont you spray a bit in your tank and show us that it doesnt effect anything. Show is a before and after picture.

crzyfshygy

I use windex sprayed on a paper towel about 25feet from the tank and then go and wipe it. No problem in 2 1/2 years.

rudedog40

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
Why dont you spray a bit in your tank and show us that it doesnt effect anything. Show is a before and after picture.

Hey, no problem. I use Windex for everything. I shot some on my tang, and his ich was gone! Didn't you ever watch that movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding? The father or mother used Windex for all kinds of cures (fixed the groom's pimple right before the wedding).

dallas612

i use windex and newspaper to clean the front of my tank. the newspaper works great and there are no little white leavings from the paper towel left on the glass when it is done. i have been spraying directly on the glass around the bottom and just moving the windex up as i clean so that it doesn't accidently go in the water but i guess i will just start spraying the newspaper directly now because i believe thats better.
im serious about the balled up newspaper. try it and you will all convert over i guarentee it. i use the newspaper trick on all glass....car windows, house windows, glass tables, everything!!!

skipperdz

i just dont touch the glass, dont let anyone touch the glass, and dont spill while acclimating.
do that and youll be fine! lol
oh my neighbor also learned that you cant fumagate the house when you have a tank in there.......lol poor 140 bucks worth of fish

dkw27

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
I use Ro water/paper towel to wipe down the outside of the tank. works like a charm and no risk at all of contamination.
That is exactly what I do, works great and no risk...

stanton

Sounds like a job for Myth Busters.
Really... has anybody ever had a recorded tank crash or spiked levels in their tank because of using windex?

new2salt1

I use premium grade jet engine cleaner on my BioCube. I apply it with braided hemp fibers (make sure fibers come in hermetically sealed packaging). Last, all cleaning of tank walls is done in a hyberbaric chamber I had retrofitted specifically for my biocube.
It might sound complicated but after all, this IS a complicated and expensive hobby we have here.
Oh btw, make sure the person doing the cleaning was quarantined for at least 6 hours prior to engaging the acrylic walls. It also helps to have the Coralife laser system that predicts imminent sneezes and coughs, at which point it zaps the would-be cleaner, incapacitating them.
If you ask me, these "upgrades" are just as important as any protein skimmer or refugium out there...

maxalmon

Originally Posted by New2Salt1
I use premium grade jet engine cleaner on my BioCube. I apply it with braided hemp fibers (make sure fibers come in hermetically sealed packaging). Last, all cleaning of tank walls is done in a hyberbaric chamber I had retrofitted specifically for my biocube.
It might sound complicated but after all, this IS a complicated and expensive hobby we have here.
Oh btw, make sure the person doing the cleaning was quarantined for at least 6 hours prior to engaging the acrylic walls. It also helps to have the Coralife laser system that predicts imminent sneezes and coughs, at which point it zaps the would-be cleaner, incapacitating them.
If you ask me, these "upgrades" are just as important as any protein skimmer or refugium out there...

Personally I prefer a FULL Haz-Mat suit while operating a ROGCR (Remotely Operated Glass Cleaning Robot).....Oh yeah,....I really like the quarantined part,...Very important.
I've used Windex for 20 years and not once had a problem, spray it on the towel away from the tank and then wipe....

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Stanton
Really... has anybody ever had a recorded tank crash or spiked levels in their tank because of using windex?
Wyndex specifically? Not aware of any. Spike in Ammonia wiping out a tank? Happens all the time.

scsinet

Originally Posted by Stanton
I'm going to disagree. Did you see the episode where they tested the memory of goldfish?
They walk out of the pet store with a tank, a filter, and about 20 fish, then 3 days later we see them standing around, scratching their heads, wondering why their fish are dead.
The horrible part is they called the pet store and the pet store told them right off they hadn't cycled. Of course when they went to buy the fish they didn't say anything...

b bauer

Originally Posted by New2Salt1
make sure you have an msds sheet for the windex