wish i would have gone DSB

A

angelofdeath132

oooooooooh i hate crushed coral!! doing weekly water changes because the brown algae on the c.c. is driving me nuts!! i get my replacement water mixed and ready 2 or 3 days ahead of time. but every time i do a water change the tank stays cloudy until the following week when its time for another one! about the 5th or 6th day my tank is finally crystal clear. thought about leaving it and just keep track of my perams. but don't know if that's safe or not? oh yeah, did i also mention i hate crushed coral? HELP!!

carrie1429

Yeah its a lot nicer having a DSB, you don't have to do water changes but it is better IMO, some people only do water changes when the nitrates or ammonia are high.

jason weber

you could always switch over to a dsb, it is a pain but it can be done. i did it on my 46 gal and the biggest problem was getting the cc out.

aileena

If the water is cloudy when you do water changes it may be because you didn't rinse out the gravel before you put in it! This also happened to me. What you should do is use gravel vac and slowly remove the dust from the gravel. When your ready to do a water change use the gravel vac and when you add water do it slowly so as to not stir up the gravel. When you add water and it hits the bottom it stirs up the gravel and the dust left there when you didn't wash it. Like I said I did it to. Just slow down the water changes a bit to only once a week. The brown algae can be gotten rid of by sand sifter star and trochus snails. Hermit crabs help too! Good Luck

A

angelofdeath132

don't have a skimmer yet, would that help the cloudiness? just using an emperor 400 right now.