Wizardry reefkeeping: Daily routine

druluv

Snow - I wasn't talking about coralline, I was refering to diatoms, that dust the glass. Some people can go awhile without cleaning thier glass, others have clean thier glass everyday or they can't see their reef. The diatoms that appear on the glass is locking up any available organics in the tank. If you have hi organics then you'll have clean your glass a lot. It is just a simple test to see how the organics are being process in your tank

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You know what I do....take a magnifying glass and stare at my tank and mostly my animals. Yeah, I'm having fun and all, but really this is a major part of my maintenance routine [when I have a tank]. All the animals tell me if they are happy or sad, doing well or not. Everything gets a good once over with my magnifying glass. Early detection is an ounce of prevention. And its fun to boot! While I'm at it, I also look at my pumps and water flow, etc., to make sure everything is ok.

ags

Daily -
When I wake up I:
1. add ro/di water
2. dose two part bionic or similar
3. maybe, if the fish are lucky, clip a piece of seaweed
When I get home from work:
1. add ro/di, if needed (I live in Florida, the summer is brutal in terms of evaporation)
2. feeding time - either frozen, pellets or live food
3. Replace seaweed if it is a light feeding day
From the time I get home from work till bedtime:
1. constantly looking at my tank - both close up and from a far. But I can't say I am "inspecting" for problems because it is more of an enjoyment thing. However, subconsciously I guess that is also happening. My biggest problem identifiers are the inhabitants themselves. If my hammer, frogspawn or torch are retracted there is trouble in paradise.
Weekly - clean glass, stalk the LFS for new coral
Monthly - 20% water change

Hourly--
Check weather channel for any hurricanes(Ivan, Arlene, Cindy, Dennis have REALLY hurt my tanks)
Worry about Tank when i am not at home.
Daily--
Check water level and add RO/DI
Check TDS in RO/DI. Give RO/DI system good once over to make sure it functions ok
Roll-Call with good once over on fish
Check corals, make sure all looks good
Check Temp, sal, PH (pinpoint)
Ajust Skimmer (just got a new one. having some problems tweakin it)
Drag mag-float over glass (front, and sides)
Check for leaks in pluming, tubes, etc
Make new jug of kalk and start drip on current jug.
BiDaily--
Feed fishies brine or prime reef or some home brew stuff
MAKE SURE I SEE EVERY FISH EATING!!
Prune Macro algea in 'fuge
Weekly--
20% water change
Dose stuff.
Scrape Corrline
Go to LFS.
Give CBS small piece of krill
Monthly--
Call in sick at least once a month on a Tuesday to meet the FedEx Truck at the LFS to get the picks of the shipment.

shawnts106

I don't think a lazy style of housekeeping can keep a tank looking good.
Well... I dont agree with that.. my tank to me and everyone who sees it is absolutely beautiful...As soon as the camera batterys are charged Ill post a pic or two for everyones viewing enjoyment.. or displeasure... depending on what you think... lol

nm reef

If I'm not mistaken you've promised to take & post pics before.....can't recall ever seeing pics of your display....hmmmmmmmmmmm.