Woke up and some fish had died.

Jason Magliaro

My tank had been running great (60 gallons, 45 lbs live rock, 45 lbs live sand). Have had it about 2 months now. Woke up this morning and 3 of my fish were dead. A great barrier reef chromis, a sunshine chromis and a midas blenny. my 2 cardinals, blue green chromis, emerald crab and blood shrimp ( he molted over night) seem okay. checked my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. ammonia and nitrite are zero and nitrate is around 20? did a 6 gallon water change yesterday like i always do every 2 weeks using RO water from target (been using it with no problems). all fish seemed fine yesterday. any ideas?

Jason Magliaro

i mix with RO water with instant reef crystals in a rubbermaid container. let it sit for 24 hours with a powerhead and heater in it. temp was 1 degree lower(78 vs 79 in tank) and salinity was the same?

flower

Hi, Is it possible the container could have been contaminated with anything? Splash of soap in the container, or a bucket was used for something by another family member?????

Jason Magliaro

bucket wasn't used by anyone else. i don't think anything would splash into it. i do it in my basement and rinse the hell out of it with hot water before any changes. it must have something to do with my water change? should i do another water change (buy a new container) ?

flower

bucket wasn't used by anyone else. i don't think anything would splash into it. i do it in my basement and rinse the hell out of it with hot water before any changes. it must have something to do with my water change? should i do another water change (buy a new container) ?
Hi,

Check for EVERYTHING.....stray voltage, smell the change water...is it foul?... smell your display water, does it smell funny? Do the dead fish look like they were attacked by an aggressive tank mate? Sometimes we have mystery deaths, but so many at once is a worry. What kind of container is the change water in?

Jason Magliaro

i used a rubbermaid container to do my change. i checked everything. no bad odor, no electrical issues. just got back from the LFS and had him test my water and he said it's because my PH is too low. he said it was 7.6 and that's why they died?? i added a marine buffer sea chem. not sure if this is the cause?? i tested the PH of the RO water I use and it was 7.0. i thought by mixing the RO water with instant ocean reef crystals makes the PH higher?? i have not been testing the new water mixed for PH when i do water changes. do people normally check that? i've been testing for temp and salinity. he also said my temp was too high at 79. he said it should be 74 and 76 the highest.

flower

i used a rubbermaid container to do my change. i checked everything. no bad odor, no electrical issues. just got back from the LFS and had him test my water and he said it's because my PH is too low. he said it was 7.6 and that's why they died?? i added a marine buffer sea chem. not sure if this is the cause?? i tested the PH of the RO water I use and it was 7.0. i thought by mixing the RO water with instant ocean reef crystals makes the PH higher?? i have not been testing the new water mixed for PH when i do water changes. do people normally check that? i've been testing for temp and salinity. he also said my temp was too high at 79. he said it should be 74 and 76 the highest.
Hi,

Buffering the PH is not going to stabilize it. Buffer the Alkalinity instead to raise PH. You should have your own test kits and not rely on the LFS. The only way your PH is that low, is if your hydrometer or refractometer is reading incorrectly. If the SG reading is wrong.... you wouldn't have the right amount of salt mix with the fresh RO water. That happened to me once, so have that gizmo checked.

Next... The salt mix most certainly should have enough of everything your fish needs for the water to be stable. I have never tested my change water for PH, because the salt mix is what changes everything to the right parameters. Next... the temp for your fish to be happy is actually around 80 degrees. People keep the temps that low ( 74 to 76) because they are afraid of algae growth....same kind of people believe in starving their fish (only feeding them once every other day or once a week) for the same reason. The truth is...if you keep nitrates and phosphates down to near 0, you don't have to worry about algae growth.

Jason Magliaro

thanks for the info and appreciate the help! i do have my own test kits. was using strips for PH. bought the liquid test. i test nitrite, nitrate, ammonia and PH every Saturday. maybe the test strips are not good? my hydrometer reads 1.023 and it was the same at the LFS. just tested my alkalinity and it's 11 DKh. my 2 cardinals, shrimp, crab and snails are fine. my blue green chromis is not looking good. he's moving his lips fast like he needs to breathe more then usual???

flower

thanks for the info and appreciate the help! i do have my own test kits. was using strips for PH. bought the liquid test. i test nitrite, nitrate, ammonia and PH every Saturday. maybe the test strips are not good? my hydrometer reads 1.023 and it was the same at the LFS. just tested my alkalinity and it's 11 DKh. my 2 cardinals, shrimp, crab and snails are fine. my blue green chromis is not looking good. he's moving his lips fast like he needs to breathe more then usual???
What kind of water circulation do you have? Saltwater has less oxygen then freshwater, so power heads are needed to bring the air from the top of the tank water, to the rest of the tank....

Jason Magliaro

i have 2 JBJ 500 GPH powerheads and a HOB Reef octopus 100 skimmer. 1 powerhead i have pointed up on one side and the other on the opposite side pointed down towards the rock. both are about 2 inches below the water surface. the only other thing i can think i did differently was i stirred up my sand substrate a bit. could that cause issues?

pegasus

If you stirred the sand, it's possible that you released hydrogen sulfate into the water column. There is usually an odor associated with the release, but if you weren't there long after stirring, and stayed away long enough for it to be released into the atmosphere, you may not have noticed it. Hydrogen sulfate is very toxic to fish, and if it that was indeed the case, you're lucky you didn't lose all your livestock.

As for your pH, the time of day it's tested will yield different results. PH will be low in the early morning, and rise as the day goes on. It's highest at lights out, and starts to fall after that. Taking a sample to the LFS is okay, if you get there quickly. If it sits in the container for a long period of time, the pH level will be different than what it was when collected. Low pH is not normally a fish killer. Broad pH swings are fish killers. With 11 dKH, your pH should be running quite a bit higher, but it's not what I would consider critically low. I use Reef Crystals, and dose Alkalinity as well. My dKH is normally around 9 dKH, and my pH is usually around 7.9 early morning. I don't focus too much on hitting a specific number with pH. What's more important is stability. Marine animals can adapt to different pH levels, but they can't tolerate broad swings in pH, especially if it happens quickly. Unless you have a lot of corals consuming a lot of elements, do not use Sea Chem Marine Buffer. Yes, it raises pH, but also alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, strontium, potassium, and other elements that may not need supplementing. Unless you have more than soft corals in your tank, you should be able to maintain adequate levels of all elements with regular water changes. Never add supplements of any kind without testing for them first.

Jason Magliaro

thanks. i don't have any corals. i don't recall a smell at all but i wasn't there long after. i still have my 2 cardinals and the blue green chromis. seems like none of my inverts are effected. if it's hydrogen sulfate will it dissipate and will the remaining fish get better?

pegasus

I'd do a series of water changes just to be on the safe side. I don't think having your water your water too clean is a bad thing for a fish-only tank... ;)