Woman forced to remove body piercings in airport

kerriann

ya but i still think TSA is out of line in some aspects. me and 2 coworkers were returning from NY wednesday and as we're going through the TSA check point my boss gets flagged and they search his bag. find his travel-sized completely standard toothpaste in his quart sized bag that he's allowed to have and confiscate it. meanwhile, myself and the other associate have the same sized toothpaste in our carry ons and no problem there. it's getting to be ridiculous to fly anymore...

reefraff

What would keep someone from say adding peircings to their face which would be expected to set off the detectors and then have a gun stashed somewhere else.
I think it's fine. As it is now they pull 90 year old grandmas and young kids out of line for pats downs lest they get accused of profiling. I see no problem with doing the same for people that say they have body piercings

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by KerriAnn
http:///forum/post/2539109
it's getting to be ridiculous to fly anymore...
as technology advances...so do terrorists...and usually they are one step ahead of us because they have the element of suprise...im sure you wouldnt say this if another 9-11 happened...

aquaknight

Originally Posted by KerriAnn
http:///forum/post/2539109
ya but i still think TSA is out of line in some aspects. me and 2 coworkers were returning from NY wednesday and as we're going through the TSA check point my boss gets flagged and they search his bag. find his travel-sized completely standard toothpaste in his quart sized bag that he's allowed to have and confiscate it. meanwhile, myself and the other associate have the same sized toothpaste in our carry ons and no problem there. it's getting to be ridiculous to fly anymore...
From TSA's site:
All liquids, gels and aerosols must be in three-ounce or smaller containers. Larger containers that are half-full or toothpaste tubes rolled up are not allowed. Each container must be three ounces or smaller.
So apparently your boss brushes his teeth, and you 2 dont?

rudedog40

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/2539117
What would keep someone from say adding peircings to their face which would be expected to set off the detectors and then have a gun stashed somewhere else.
I think it's fine. As it is now they pull 90 year old grandmas and young kids out of line for pats downs lest they get accused of profiling. I see no problem with doing the same for people that say they have body piercings
You're missing the point. As I understand it, they made her take them off, but didn't confiscate the rings. The whole dispute is why did they make her physically take the rings off, when they could clearly see that the rings were what set the detector off? The purpose of the pat down or using the hand wand is to find items not clearly seen. If someone had multiple face piercings and set off the detector, they could do a pat down, and use the hand wand to scan the rest of his body to insure it was only the face piercings that cause the main detector to go off. It's not rocket science people.
To be honest, the entire process is a joke anyway. No airport security checkpoint is consistent with ones in other cities. Look at the toothpaste example. These kinds of 'mishaps' happen everyday. If someone really wanted to get something through they could. They make teflon guns that use teflon bullets. No current detector in any airport is going to pick that up. Stick it in your pants and walk right through with a smile. Believe me, someone who really wanted to hijack a plane wouldn't make it obvious by taking something through the detector they knew would set the thing off. The airport security screening has been a joke since thy first implemented it. All it does it make you show up at the airport two hours earlier for a flight, so you can sit there eating and drinking the overpriced products they sell behind the security area. As a matter of fact, it's getting to the point it's faster to just drive to your destination if it's a short flight, than go through the headaches of traveling on a plane.

bigarn

Originally Posted by rudedog40
http:///forum/post/2539262
You're missing the point. As I understand it, they made her take them off, but didn't confiscate the rings. The whole dispute is why did they make her physically take the rings off, when they could clearly see that the rings were what set the detector off? The purpose of the pat down or using the hand wand is to find items not clearly seen. If someone had multiple face piercings and set off the detector, they could do a pat down, and use the hand wand to scan the rest of his body to insure it was only the face piercings that cause the main detector to go off. It's not rocket science people.
To be honest, the entire process is a joke anyway. No airport security checkpoint is consistent with ones in other cities. Look at the toothpaste example. These kinds of 'mishaps' happen everyday. If someone really wanted to get something through they could. They make teflon guns that use teflon bullets. No current detector in any airport is going to pick that up. Stick it in your pants and walk right through with a smile. Believe me, someone who really wanted to hijack a plane wouldn't make it obvious by taking something through the detector they knew would set the thing off. The airport security screening has been a joke since thy first implemented it. All it does it make you show up at the airport two hours earlier for a flight, so you can sit there eating and drinking the overpriced products they sell behind the security area. As a matter of fact, it's getting to the point it's faster to just drive to your destination if it's a short flight, than go through the headaches of traveling on a plane.
drive? not these day$ ....

jtrzerocool

their site cleary says that they have the authority to tell you to remove the piercings...she doesnt even have a leg to stand on...wether she is angry or not...she has no case...
and we never know how well security is working until somthing bad happens...it has been a while since anything major has happened on a plane in the US...i think that it is safe to say that TSA is doing AT LEASE a half-way decent job...

rudedog40

Originally Posted by jtrzerocool
http:///forum/post/2539484
their site cleary says that they have the authority to tell you to remove the piercings...she doesnt even have a leg to stand on...wether she is angry or not...she has no case...
and we never know how well security is working until somthing bad happens...it has been a while since anything major has happened on a plane in the US...i think that it is safe to say that TSA is doing AT LEASE a half-way decent job...
Uh, a HALF-WAY decent job is the essentially not doing the job at all. It only takes ONE person to get through to cause another hijacking. Either be 100%, or nothing at all.
I imagine that's why she's only asking for an apology. I'm sure her lawyers have read the same policy that someone listed here, and that's all the TSA needs to get the case thrown out.
At least it was just a nip ring. I'd hate to think about a women having to do that if they had one of those rings on their other 'private' part.

jtrzerocool

http:///forum/post/2539524
Uh, a HALF-WAY decent job is the essentially not doing the job at all. It only takes ONE person to get through to cause another hijacking. Either be 100%, or nothing at all.
to be 100% sure in every single case would require background checks...strip searches...going through ALL bags...ect, ect, ect...that will never happen...i dont think that people want to have to get "per-approved" for a flight 3 weeks before that actually fly...
I imagine that's why she's only asking for an apology. I'm sure her lawyers have read the same policy that someone listed here, and that's all the TSA needs to get the case thrown out.
if the investigation shows no wrong doing then i seriously doubt that the TSA will issue a formal apology...but i still dont know if we are getting the entire story...so only time will tell...

At least it was just a nip ring. I'd hate to think about a women having to do that if they had one of those rings on their other 'private' part.

LOL...i could only imagine what kind of scene that would cause...
"excuse me miss...Ummm...can you please...ummm...remove your body piercing...i will need to observe you in order to ensure the safty of the United States"...

reefraff

They don't have them removed to take them away, just to have them pass the screening. If the policy says a pat down would have been sufficient then these people screwed up and at a minimum should be retrained and oppologize to the woman. It sounds like the TSA is standing behind them so I am not sure that is the case.
If Gloria Allead is involved you can take it to the bank there will be a lawsuit. That woman doesn't wipe herself without turning a profit. She hasn't changed since I met her back in the 70's. Sorta met her, was in the room when she went on a tirade. There will be a lawsuite no matter what

rudedog40

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2539528
So what are you saying? Let any yahoo on the plane?
Any yahoo can get on a plane today. All you need is a ticket and a photo ID. The metal detector screening is just a feel-good the TSA does to give a false sense of security to people flying after 9/11. If soemone wants to bring a dangerous item on a plane, it can be done with ease. Now if you want better security, vote for the full-body screening machines they were testing at certain airports. You stand in front of this machine, and it takes like an X-ray of your entire body. The problem people have with it, is it looks like those pictures you see in the comic books where you buy the old X-ray glasses. Supposedly you can see 'everything' underneath the clothing with this thing. Wanna see if that girl in front of you in the security line is wearing a thong? You betcha. Wanna embarrass the macho man who claims he's well endowed? This puppy will do it. They wouldn't have had to get this girl to take her rings off. They could have seen them for themselves.

jtrzerocool

http:///forum/post/2539668
Now if you want better security, vote for the full-body screening machines they were testing at certain airports. You stand in front of this machine, and it takes like an X-ray of your entire body. The problem people have with it, is it looks like those pictures you see in the comic books where you buy the old X-ray glasses. Supposedly you can see 'everything' underneath the clothing with this thing. Wanna see if that girl in front of you in the security line is wearing a thong? You betcha. Wanna embarrass the macho man who claims he's well endowed? This puppy will do it. They wouldn't have had to get this girl to take her rings off. They could have seen them for themselves.
I heard about this machine on the news last night...pretty crazy...i am all for this new machine...i have nothing to hide...
i got a question fot you rudedog40...can this machine detect the affor mentioned teflon gun and bullet?

rudedog40

Originally Posted by jtrzerocool
http:///forum/post/2539709
I heard about this machine on the news last night...pretty crazy...i am all for this new machine...i have nothing to hide...
i got a question fot you rudedog40...can this machine detect the affor mentioned teflon gun and bullet?
My understanding is that if you have ANYTHING on you, this machine can see it. Like I said, it's like an X-ray machine. That's what's nice about it. If you don't mind being scanned, you don't have to remove anything out of your pockets, remove your jacket, shoes, anything. However, it will show EVERYTHING.