wondering about Black

mandarin w

I in the early planning stages of setting up a new 150 gal reef tank. It is going to be the 48 x 24 x 30. I have to find out if I can get it drilled so I can use a fuge instead of canister filters. But my question is while search the different sites I see this ' Tahitian Moon - Jet Black Sand" Just what is the info on that, is it reef safe, will it do the same job as Sugar or Araginite sand. Buffer Bio and so on.. The ideal is maybe Black back, Black sand, lots of colorful corals. I never seen it used, So I don't know it I can use this.

harial

I beleive it is reef safe since I have seen others use it, however, the drawback that I have seen is that detrius really shows up on the black sand. However if you syphon over the sand when you do a water change like I do then I don't think you will have a problem. I like your idea of the black sand and background, but another idea would be to make your own LR and to make it black as well. I think it will make the purple coraline stand out. But ask about either making your own LR or finding black LR on reefcentral.

J

jupoc911

everything that drops to rhe bottom of the tank will stand out in the black sand. I used to have the same sand in a my first tank ever, a ten gallon. it looked nice for the firsr few months but just became dusgusting after. it is reef safe but i dont recomend using it.