Wondering if a 10 gal tank would work?

halamaya

I want to keep a pair of seahorse's in a 10 gal tank. Which type of horse's could I put into it? I would like to stock the tank with Gorgonians and tree sponges. Besides the more color the better are there any that I shouldn't put into the tank. Or some Gorgonians or Sponges they prefer over others? I'm setting it up next week, going to put 20 lbs LS, and 10 lb's LR a small skimmer, hang on filter and not sure about the lights yet. My 10 gal reef right now has a coral life 65 wat compact flourescent 50/50 and that seems to work well. Thanks for the help.

jaodissa

I think your gonna get mixed answers. From what I've read so far there are two points of views. Any of the large seahorses need much more room than a 10 gallon. And then horses than may be keep in a ten gallon are dwarf.
Some feel 10 gallons is to large for dwarfs and cause feeding issues while others like the stability it offers over a smaller tank. Oh and if your gonna do dwarf no live rock or sand.

teresaq

10 gal is too small for lrg bred horses. Remember they can be 8 inches long and up. A pair of fuscus can be kept in a 15 to 20 gal tall, they are a smaller horse 4 to 6 inches.
For Erectus or Reidi you need at least a 29 gal tank, with the taller cube tanks being a better choice.
T

halamaya

theres a new brine shrimp hatcher that goes inside your tank and lets them swim out on their own. So you can pretty much constantly have live brines srhimp feeding into your tank. I've always wanted to keep horse's but didn't want to have to feed them 3 times a day. Will the dwarf seahorse's be able to eat the brine shrimp also, or should I look into a larger set up?

teresaq

please read thru the first three threads in this sectoin. That will give you some info.
Lrg species horses dont eat brine, they eat frozen mysis. They should be feed frozen twice a day.
Dwarfs need live baby brine shrimp three times a day. Those auto feeders are not good for dwarf tanks. They will release very dirty water into your small dwarf tanks.
T

halamaya

Thanks for the start in the right direction. This nano skimmer is amazing, put one on my 20 gal hexagon tank and I love it.