Wondering what others 'trates are?

dubba-r

What are the average nitrate readings for the people here with aggressive setups? Especially the ones with lionfishes
I get about 10-15ppm.

marc42fe

I have a volitan in a 100g and my nitrates have never gotten over 15. hes the only permanant occupant with about 4 damsels to chase and eat. Ive nver done a water change. I use carbon filters and bioballs in the in tank wet/dry @ 300 gpm and a fluval 4 power head with a large sponge prefilter @ 270gpm and a 6" deep, dsb I also use a small 10 gallon hang on to clean out the refugium a bit. lots of surface agitation (theres salt every where)

ozzy reefer

No water changes? Sounds sweet to me! I have 4-5" sand bed. 350 lbs in a 6ft long 125 gallon..Caulerpa in the overflow......Wet/Dry with bioballs, prefilters, and a carbon prefilter plus a prizm skimmer. What I dont have is surface agitation. Its hard with a 125 gallon long. I guess I should look into more powerheads. I was thinking of getting a Mag Driver 7... 700 gph.

dubba-r

Impressive with the no water changes. I cant do that since I have a queen angel in my tank. As for surface agitation, I just placed a hagen 802 near the top and to me it seems like its enough agitation.